Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 9th, 2019 23:00

XPS 15 9560, Factory Image Restore fails

I have an XPS 15 9560. I recently had problems with the OS and accidentally deleted the  partition where Windows 10 is installed. I restarted the laptop and it came up in support mode where I navigated to the Factory Image Restore area and started the Factory Image Restore procedure. The program starts, says it's erasing the partition, and then says "Applying the backup image...". The process bar below this sits frozen at 3% and the "Overall" process bar below that sits frozen at 40%.  (See image Below)

I see no drive lights. It sits in this state for over an hour with no change so I'm assuming nothing is happening.  The SupportAssist OS Recovery version is V3.3.0.4943

Anyone else have similar issues?

XPS-Fac_Img_Restore_Failed.jpg

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

August 10th, 2019 07:00

You might have deleted the system image as well as windows. Use the Create Media Tool to burn boot media to reinstall windows. Directions on the site-- https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 

Note that this requires a custom clean install after you boot to the thumb drive or disk you made. Make sure to choose the same version of windows you have a license for to download.

However it might be that the problem you were having is causing the error. If you are able to boot, tap F12 immediately until you get into the boot menu. Then run the diagnostics including the custom extended test of the hard drive. No use installing windows on a failing hard drive.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

August 10th, 2019 10:00

I suppose a couple of things to mention.  I did not see a Factory Image download available for that system.  But you might see it if you use your Service Tag.  Do not expose your service tag here.

Secondly, the system may need to download the complete Win 10 image and some OEM images, if appropriate.  That might take quite a while, depending on your download speed in that situation since it might be 3.5 GBs or more.

I am assuming it is downloading Win 10 since the Win 10 newer machines will not have that image in one of the Recovery partitions.  But it could just be a very large drive being reformatted.  Maybe an hour isn't enough time.

No Events found!