Start a Conversation

Unsolved

G

2 Posts

October 1st, 2018 12:00

XPS 15 9560: USB-C port manufacturing/design defect or flaw?

Hello folks,

Is anyone else having issues with their USB-C/TB3 port? In our office, two XPS 15 9560 laptops have had their USB-C port permanently stop working. One of them had their mainboard replaced by a Dell tech, but this issue showed up again today on it. We use the port both to charge and to connect to a 4K monitor (LG 27UD88-W). We can confirm that the USB-C port is indeed damaged because the laptops no longer charge from the port, the port can no longer drive a monitor, and connecting a USB-C to USB-A adapter (that is known to work on the working XPS 15s) shows that the port isn't even outputting a voltage (no power on VBUS).

Since this issue has shown up on THREE different boards at different times months apart, I am highly convinced that either there is a mechanical defect on soldering the connector to the board, or that charging the laptop from the monitor causes something to burn out and permanently disable the port.

Thoughts?

9.4K Posts

October 2nd, 2018 05:00

Hi glmtc,

Thanks for posting. Apologies that your system is not performing as expected.

Here is information from the manual:

Thunderbolt/USB 3.1 Gen 2/USB Type-C =

Supports USB 3.1 Gen 2, DisplayPort 1.2, Thunderbolt 3, and also enables you to connect to an external display using a display adapter. Provides data transfer rates up to 10 Gbps for USB 3.1 Gen 2 and up to 40 Gbps for Thunderbolt 3. Supports Power Delivery that enables two way power supply between devices. Provides up to 5V/3A power output that enables faster charging.

To use that port to charge any devices, the XPS 9560 AC power adapter must be plugged into the XPS 9560.

When using this Thunderbolt/USB 3.1 Gen 2/USB Type-C port to charge devices or connect the 4K monitor, is the AC power adapter connected to the XPS 9560? 

If you would like us to investigate this further, please contact me privately. Be sure to include your personal information (name, address, telephone, email) and the three computers service tag numbers in your message. Thanks.

1 Message

December 31st, 2019 11:00

Two identical XPS laptops with Dell USB adapters, all 4 ports stopped working (except charging okay). Wonder if manufacturing defect? Best Buy Geek Squad Fort Lauderdale can’t  find problem, wants arm and leg to send to service center that might replace board for unknown $$$. Machines less than 2 years old. Would like some help from Dell about this. 

2 Posts

March 5th, 2020 15:00

We replaced the main board on one of the laptops because it was still under warranty, but today, about 18 months later, the port failed again in the exact same manner. This is definitely a manufacturing defect, and buyers should be aware of this.

1 Message

May 3rd, 2021 19:00

Gotta be defect.

October 2020 the mobo on my Out Of Warranty 9560 died.

$247 for replacement.

I had no need for the USB-C until later, when I needed an additional USB-3 connection,

and for SATA and eventually Ethernet and maybe Thunderbolt.

When I finally tried it with several USB-3 devices, a Sandisk USB-C SSD, 

and a SATA adapter, every one came ready/dropped-cam-ready/dropped....etc.

I tried different cables and drivers. Now I can barely get a peep from it.

Sound familiar?

Of course it was out of repair warranty by a little bit by then. And of course Dell confirmed that. It's my 3rd Dell in a couple decades.

I'm fed up and wonder if I have any recourse. I'm afraid I know the answer!

August 27th, 2021 13:00

Good Afternoon- We are also experiencing the close to the same.  Of of Warranty on a $5K laptop XPS 9560.  The USB-C port is "lose"  Power comes and goes and video comes and goes.  I know it will need replaced.  Does anyone know anything about the replacement?  Has anyone had a local computer repair shop repair/replace theirs? 

No Events found!