Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 14th, 2018 07:00

XPS 15 9560 slow and stuttering

Hi all, I have a brand new XPS 15 9560 and have noticed that if the CPU isn't loaded up then the audio goes choppy, mouse will lag and scrolling webpages will not be smooth.

I have used ThrottleStop to monitor the problem and found that this occurs whenever the processor uses C-State C8 for power saving. Anything up to C7 causes no lag at all.Capture.PNG

Latest drivers for all devices, latest Win10 updates, latest BIOS etc.

I found that the only way to fix it was to disable c-states entirely in the BIOS. 

This is fine except that now the processor uses a bunch more power so the battery doesn't last as long. I also noticed that I could resolve the problem by running certain programs that prevented the processor entering C8 mode, like if you open the MaxxAudio app and switch to the microphone tab (I have no idea why that tab in particular works, but it does), but this is hardly a long-term fix.

Has anyone else encountered this and know of a way to resolve this problem without disabling C-States entirely?

4 Posts

June 7th, 2018 15:00

Try disabling CStates and see if the stuttering goes away.

If so then you have the same problem and I'm afraid this seems to be the only fix for now.

1 Message

June 11th, 2018 18:00

Most of these "slow and stuttering" issues are likely related to thermal throttling. Once the Intel CPU or GPU hits a certain temperature, it gets throttled to minimum power, making the computer fairly unusable. You can check for this in the Windows Event Viewer. It is Event ID 37. 

The XPS 15 9560 is known to be pretty bad at managing heat. You can Google the various solutions people have come up with. I've had some luck with undervolting my CPU using Throttlestop, but the problem isn't completely solved yet. 

22 Posts

May 27th, 2018 00:00

have you found an actual solution to this? I am having similar problems. Can barely have 2 programs open before it starts lagging and stuttering and I can't even run the most basic games without some for of lag happening, when I know the 1050 should crush it.

I spent all day on the phone with the useless dell support agent reinstalling windows and drivers to no avail. Since it seems like a very common occurrence, you would think they would have a fix out by now. So frustrating to pay all this money for a worse than phone internet browsing machine..

2 Posts

June 7th, 2018 01:00

i have the same exact problem, and it happens randomly, computer will be fine then outta nowhere it slows down and gets choppy and i have to reset. need solution asap plz. 

2 Posts

June 7th, 2018 01:00

i have the same exact problem, and it happens randomly, computer will be fine then outta nowhere it slows down and gets choppy and i have to reset. need solution asap plz. 

4 Posts

June 11th, 2018 18:00

Thanks for the suggestion, but in my case it is definitely related to the switch to the C8 C-State.

1 Message

May 13th, 2019 08:00

This is insane, I've been experiencing this on my XPS-15 9550 for months (32GB ram, 1TB M2 SSD) and this to switch off the C-states seems to have fixed the issue for me too (so many thanks for the info). But what is going on, it never used to be an issue? Is this down to the Meltdown/Specter mitigation steps, or something else? I'm full patched, and the fact I'm running Windows 10 Pro rather than home is the only notable change I've made to the system. I've got to say I love my XPS-15 (even if it is getting a little long in the tooth now) but this kind of issue and the apparent lack of any idea by the support team on what is going on (over multiple models) is making me think of looking elsewhere when it comes to upgrade time...

July 8th, 2019 07:00

I'm having the same issue now for months.  It seemed like it all happened after a windows update one day.  I've spoken with literally a dozen different Dell technicians and no one can make the computer run the way its supposed to.  One even had the nerve to tell me my laptop just wasn't powerful enough... uh hello I'm browsing Google with a $1,500 machine that lags and stutters randomly no matter what I'm doing.  This has been the worst consumer experience I've ever had.

4 Posts

July 8th, 2019 10:00

Have you tried disabling c-states in the BIOS and did the problems go away?

No Events found!