Start a Conversation

Unsolved

F

5 Posts

July 30th, 2021 03:00

XPS 15 9560 slow boot

Hello,

Since about a month ago, my XPS laptop boots very very slowly (even slower than a 10 years old windows XP machine!)

It takes roughly 30 seconds for the DELL logo to post after pressing the power button, then another 20-30 seconds for it to load the bootloader (in my case rEFInd). After selecting the OS (be it Windows or Linux), it takes another 20 seconds before it actually starts loading the OS (screen stays black and then the boot animation shows). The OS boots in two-three seconds to the lockscreen.

I removed the SSD boot drive to test if it has something to do with my OS and bootloader, but that didn't change a thing. Booting past the UEFI post just takes so long!

Saving settings in the bios also take roughly 30-50 seconds to be applied. The cursor freezes and I can't browse anything in the bios till it's responsive again.

Someone suggested me that the CMOS/BIOS chip is failing, but I'm not sure about it.

I've read that disconnecting the battery for a bit can do magic, I'll retry it, but I doubt it would work.

PS: Once the OS is booted, everything is just fast and smooth. No hickups or slowdowns. CPU temperatures are ~50C with the fans turned off or on low speed (using the quiet thermals profile).

Any ideas?

September 23rd, 2021 04:00

Hello,

It is very unfortunate that nobody of the community can help or share their experiences. Currently I'm looking to get the laptop to be serviced (RMA) at Dell, but I can't find any form of contacting Dell. It semes like it's only possible when the product in question is under warranty (which it isn't since 2018).

I would like to get a support email address from Dell so that I can request an RMA and hope that Dell can fix this issue. Waiting 1-1.5 minutes before the OS boots is ridiculous and especially annoying when dualbooting windows/linux (where I use linux mainly, but sometimes need to boot windows for specialized tools).

4 Operator

• 

4K Posts

September 23rd, 2021 07:00

What do you mean by "slow", exactly? My XPS 13 9360 can boot to the lock screen in under 10 seconds with a really terrible LiteOn SSD.

October 21st, 2021 07:00

With slow I mean that even without any bootdrive installed, it takes roughly a minute to boot into the bios and tell me that there's no boot device installed.

OS/drive is not the issue here, the issue is on the board itself. I suspect a dying bios chip, but I'm afraid that Dell will either tell me that they won't service such an "old" product or quote me the Apple way, a full motherboard replacement.

1 Rookie

• 

5 Posts

November 26th, 2023 16:49

For slow boot this was what works for me

I call Dell support, and they ask me to do a hard reset. Just open the bottom cover, disconnect the battery, press the power button for 10 + secs, wait, reconnect the battery and that's it, normally boot time.

No Events found!