Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

Closed

5 Posts

September 3rd, 2019 01:00

XPS 15-9560, stuck on DELL logo, first boot

Hi, My dell XPS 15 is getting stuck during boot on the DELL logo. I can get it to boot into Windows after holding the power button to switch it off and powering it on again. It reoccurs every time boot the laptop from previously shutting it down. Any ideas?

380 Posts

September 5th, 2019 21:00

I posted this in another thread for a person who had a similar problem. Give this a try.

Try turning off "Fast startup". There have been issues in the past with "fast startup".

1. You can find it in "Settings" > "System" > "Power and sleep" > "Additional power settings".

2. Click the "Choose what the power buttons do" on the left menu list.

2. Click on "Change settings that are currently available" link.

3. Uncheck "Turn on fast startup" and save.

Your system will now do a complete shutdown when you shut it down, It will take a little longer when you boot up, but it wont be much unless you have a very old computer.

Need further assistance? Use the "Get Help Now" option at the bottom right to chat with a Dell technician right away.

DellRamanS_0-1648118684290.png

380 Posts

September 7th, 2019 03:00

Congrats,

FastBoot (or Fast Startup) is the source of many evils. Windows does not totally shutdown if that is enabled. It can be running things while you think it is shutdown. Disable it and you will be better off.

Still not resolved? Use the "Get Help Now" option at the bottom right to chat with a Dell technician right away.

DellRamanS_1-1648118751802.png

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

September 3rd, 2019 07:00

@Opalalot my two recommendations here would be to run the hardware diagnostics to rule out any potential hardware issues. Once done I would then try a Windows refresh.

To run the ePSA diagnostics, hold down the Fn key and power on the system.The system will boot to diagnostics and run through a series of basic hardware tests. If it returns an error code, please note it down.

Once you have completed the diagnostics, boot the system into Windows and carry out a Windows Refresh - https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/sln297920/reset-or-reinstall-windows-10-on-your-dell-computer?lang=en#Refresh

I look forward to hearing how you get on.

Alan

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

September 3rd, 2019 08:00

Welcome to the Dell Community @Opalalot 

To better assist you, we would need the exact model number of your laptop/desktop???

Identify your Dell:

https://www.dell.com/support/contents/us/en/04/category/product-support/self-support-knowledgebase/l...

Best regards,

U2

PLEASE DO NOT POST ANY SERVICE TAGS!!!

5 Posts

September 5th, 2019 05:00

Good point, I have a XPS 15 9560 (2018)

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

September 5th, 2019 07:00

@Opalalot 

Reset BIOS to default settings.

What model HDD/SSD do you have installed???

Regards,

U2

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

September 5th, 2019 07:00

Hi @Opalalot thanks for confirming the model of laptop . Have you been able to try the steps I outlined in my previous post?

Alan
DELL-AlanD

5 Posts

September 6th, 2019 00:00

Hardware test was ok, no problems there.

I did try recovering from a restore point - only had 1 recently restore point 01/09 which I tried but the problem persisted.

One thing I noticed today is that after approximately 5min on the DELL screen it continues into Windows...

5 Posts

September 6th, 2019 01:00

Thanks! @johnptd  this seems to have fixed the issue!   Laptop is now booting fine after a shutdown. The dots circling beneath the DELL logo appears almost immediately after powering on the laptop.

Bios and everything is at its default since I got the laptop, I patch and update regularly too...

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

September 6th, 2019 03:00

@Opalalot that's great to hear that @johnptd 's suggestion of disabling Fast Boot resolved the issue for you.

Should you have any further issues, please don't hesitate to reach out to the community.

Alan

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

September 17th, 2019 14:00

@Opalalot 

We need your help!!!

What is the model number of your SSD/HDD???

Best regards,

U2

December 16th, 2019 16:00

This is the best answer I got. All other forums mentioned about RAMS, CMOS and all other hardwares but this solution is really the simplest and most helpful. Thank you very much.

December 21st, 2019 01:00

Hi 

I having exactly the same problem after last update they did to my laptop , will look in to your solution hope it will work .

Peter 

December 21st, 2019 01:00

Thank you John D  , your solution helped me with the issue .  Peter KHP

1 Message

February 6th, 2020 06:00

All, I have a similar issue after updates, with a different system setup – a PC.  My issue is that my PC gets stuck at the Dell logo on a Shutdown, Sleep, and Hibernate but not a restart.  I have a PC, Inspiron 3670, where I installed a secondary SSD drive, SanDisk SDSSDH31024G.  That drive is the boot drive.  This SSD appears to be causing the issue and mirroring the laptop problems.

I turned off Fast Startup and it fixed the Shutdown and Sleep issue of hanging at the Dell logo but did not fix it during a Hibernate.  When I Hibernate (my personal choice of standby) and power back on it still takes another power off and back on to come up.

I rolled back the Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Driver-and-Management drivers with about 7 different tests versions, from both the Dell and Intel websites with no luck.  I then loaded the Intel newer IRST driver from Jan-2020, which installed fine, but with no luck.

I have no solution to the Hibernate problem other than that I will be changing my standby mode to Sleep.

No Events found!