Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 3rd, 2018 08:00

XPS 15-9570, Audio crackling and popping

I have an issue that renders the audio on this laptop unusable.

I have a new XPS 9570, and occasionally (I stress that word because 75% of the time there is no issue) when playing audio, either through the built in speakers or through the audio jack, there is a loud popping and crackling noise that accompanies the audio. This renders any audio generated by the laptop unusable.

Because the issue is not always present, it is very hard to debug since you can't know if the issue was actually fixed, or just temporarily gone.

Testing I have done thus far:

When playing a continuous tone, such as generated by  , the issue is still present.

The crackling and popping increases with system volume, so if I turn the volume up on the laptop, the crackling becomes louder.

I have reflashed the BIOS to the newest version, uninstalled realtek, reinstalled realtek, disabled wave-maxx-audio (or whatever it is called), and tried using the built in windows drivers. Nothing has worked.

And note that when playing from bluetooth, there is no issue. So it is not a software issue in that way.

Very disappointing that on such an amazing laptop (it truly is amazing), an integral part of it is basically useless.

February 12th, 2019 09:00

@erpster05,

after installation of this driver, I have no sound at all.

9580_Sound_Driver_2.png9580_Sound_Driver_1.png

219 Posts

February 12th, 2019 09:00

nope not yet.

but in the meantime, try out this v6.0.1.8586 driver (which I found listed for a Dell XPS 9380); it may work with the XPS 9570

I agree with a comment earlier that Inspiron is more stable than XPS as I like the Inspiron series of Dell PCs

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

February 14th, 2019 05:00

Hi all, 

As per @samos1111's post, a new audio driver was released publicly this morning. I would recommend uninstalling the current driver and installing the clean new driver rather than updating the current version you have.

I look forward to hearing your feedback around the driver after testing for a few days.

Alan

1 Rookie

• 

54 Posts

February 14th, 2019 06:00

the problem is dpc latency!...it happens with external device as well!...why don't you (dell) understand that?!?

9 Posts

For me with the new driver the Sound:
a) has an echo effect on it
b) still has the crackling issue

I would be surprised if everything worked as desired.
I'll test it tonight, but I'm not hopeful that it will work.

February 14th, 2019 08:00

It's way better with the new driver. Can't hear the usual crackling and popping sound. But at full volume, I get some hissing feedback and an unfriendly echo when I receive WhatsApp messages. Thanks for the driver though. Now lets perfect the issue

February 14th, 2019 11:00

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the driver several times. That did not lead to an improvement at all!

1 Message

I purchased a Dell XPS 9570 in early Feb '19 and when the unit is plugged in the speaker to the left of the trackpad makes a static/crackle sound that is annoying.  However, when the unit is not plugged in the noise goes away.  

2 Posts

I'm seeing a similar yet slightly different crackling issue with the new driver, but the crackling and distortion is much more pronounced. It is easily reproducible by pausing audio in Spotify for a little while (~1 minute) and then resuming audio. The resumed audio crackles and is very distorted. The trick of changing the Spatial Sound temporarily fixes it as it did with the previous driver.

February 14th, 2019 12:00

@DJG1, I can only recommend that you return the device and demand the money back. That's not the only problem your XPS 9570 has:
https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/XPS-9570-BIOS-Sleep-Mode-Gone/td-p/6131926
https://www.reddit.com/r/Dell/comments/8wy79o/black_screen_flicker_on_dell_xps_15_9570/

1 Message

February 14th, 2019 17:00

Yeah, I've still got the same issues with this new driver. I ran Latencymon and it doesn't look any better than before.

42 Posts

February 14th, 2019 20:00

I installed the new driver and the problems I had persist:

1) listen to music online, and after one minute of playback, clicks and pops appear

2) live music production applications (such as Waves GTR 3) generate noise and distort the sound

3) dropouts with music production programs (recording and playing live) - I have to leave the buffer size too high so there are no dropouts (my old Samsung notebook, with second-generation i5, can work well, no noise and dropouts, until the point the processor can not handle the load required by the programs). On my XPS 15 9570, problems occur with both the internal driver use and the external interface (Focusrite 6 USB in my case).

We're waiting for a solution, Dell. How can you make a laptop so well done, but you can not make a driver that works.

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

February 15th, 2019 05:00

Hi all, 

Thanks for the responses you have provided. I shall reach out to you individually for more information that I require to pass onto engineering.

Thanks again for all your assistance with this.

Alan

No Events found!