Start a Conversation

Unsolved

W

2 Posts

August 13th, 2019 11:00

XPS 15 9570, BIOS 1.12.0, Windows 10 Pro

I purchased a Dell  XPS 15 9570 back in November. I had a choice between Windows Home or Pro, since Pro was higher priced, I went with home. I already had a Windows Pro with a license so why spend the extra money. The Laptop was running fine until July 2019 when I updated Bios 1.12.0, now I had already updated 4 Bios before good old 1.12.0 came around. After updating 1.12.0 my Laptop booted slowly for 4 or 5 minutes and when it finally came up. The Laptop was slow, and my attached LG monitor screen was okay but after several seconds the Screen turned a Yellow/Green color out blanked out the screen. The big problem the Laptop was unresponsive. I tried rebooting the Laptop, but the mouse and keyboard wouldn’t respond for several seconds, and power button wouldn’t respond either. I finally rebooted but the same problem happened appeared. I rebooted three more times and the Laptop and LG finally were up and running. The next several days the same problem happened again and again. I finally left the Laptop in stand by mode is everything was working.

I went on the Dell support site and talked to chat, she had me check several drivers but looked fine. Then see asked me what Windows version I was running. I told her Windows Pro and she said she couldn’t go any further because the Laptop had to have Windows Home installed but she did send me to hardware support. Hardware report checked my hardware, but they couldn’t find a problem. They told me I needed to talk to Microsoft, and that they couldn’t do any else because I was running Windows Pro.

So, I’m asking for help from the community, has you anyone experienced this problem with Bios 1.12.0?  

I was thinking of reinstalling Bios 1.11.2, but I’m not sure that’s a good idea.

4 Operator

• 

783 Posts

August 13th, 2019 15:00

@WillKH,

Send me your service tag in private message and I'll see what I can do.

I doubt this has anything to do with Windows and is more of a one-off and more of a firmware-update-issue.

Caution is good when downgrading the BIOS. If under warranty, and if you were working with me, I would advise you to do the downgrade to see what happens. If downgrading causes any hardware problems, I would likely then replace the motherboard for you. If outside of warranty it would be up to you if you want to try downgrade. 

2 Posts

August 14th, 2019 09:00

The laptop is still under warranty.

4 Operator

• 

783 Posts

August 14th, 2019 10:00

@WillKH,

Send me a private message with your tag and we'll get to a solution. 

August 14th, 2019 10:00

Dell if you're listening. This mirrors my experience. "The Laptop was slow, and my attached LG monitor screen was okay but after several seconds the Screen turned a Yellow/Green color out blanked out the screen. The big problem the Laptop was unresponsive. I tried rebooting the Laptop, but the mouse and keyboard wouldn’t respond for several seconds, and power button wouldn’t respond either."

4 Operator

• 

783 Posts

August 14th, 2019 11:00

@One of the frustrated,

You can send me your service tag as well and we'll get to work on it. 

1 Message

August 17th, 2019 01:00

After reading your post I'm now a bit cautious on updating my bios. I also have installed Windows 10 Pro (on my xps 9570) using my a personal licence and installation. 

I tried updating to version 1.12.0 but for some reason, the Dell update tool fails to install the update (it has worked for all other updates). So before I pull the trigger on the next step which was to try to install it manually, I decided to verify if the update is causing any other users any issues. So after reading your post, I think I will hold off now (i really don't have the time to not have a functioning PC at the moment).

Can you update the community on the outcome of your issue? I'm really interested as mentioned I'm on Win 10 pro too.

Thanks

1 Message

August 28th, 2019 03:00

Same here. Running Windows 10 Pro on my XPS 15 9570. After installing BIOS 1.12.0, the computer no longer reboots or wakes from sleep normally WITH MY EXTERNAL MONITOR PLUGGED INTO THE HDMI PORT. It simply freezes at the Welcome screen or when Windows Explorer appears. However, if I unplug the external monitor it will reboot and wake from sleep with no issues. When this is done I can plug in my external monitor and work normally. Is this a known issue? Is anything being done about it?
No Events found!