Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 8th, 2018 08:00

XPS 15-9570, BIOS 1.3.0, sleep mode gone?

I just bought my XPS 15-9570 with BIOS 1.2.2 installed, and I updated it to BIOS 1.3.0. I realized that the "sleep mode" option is now gone. I need to set this to "Force S3" sleep to prevent the laptop from waking up randomly, or don't go to sleep properly. So can I do that in the new BIOS?

IMG_20180805_165645.jpg

September 13th, 2018 00:00

I can only speak for myself but after the BIOS update the sleep problem has gone.

@mkdrseems to have a rather extreme solution to what is a solvable problem.

1 Message

October 10th, 2018 09:00

But S3 works as sleep mode?

1 Message

November 6th, 2018 00:00

Wrong thread vartan3k. Also, bump. Same issues here

1 Message

December 1st, 2018 00:00

Now the time is December 2018, a few months have passed, the latest BIOS has been updated to 1.5.0, S3 is still not available, it seems that Dell does not intend to fix this problem, just irresponsible to cut this function.

I applied for a refund on the phone but Dell customer service indicated that I am not eligible because I bought it 20 days ago. But this is a quality issue. Now that this computer lacks the features it deserves, Dell can't provide a solution to this deficiency.

Maybe XPS users are too few, Dell does not care about us ?

My first PC is XPS15 L502x , is not too bad , but this one (9570) make me upset.

If I choose Dell on my next computer, I am a silly dog.

------ A Old User ,  Beijing

2 Posts

December 1st, 2018 22:00

Another complaint from me. I hit 'sleep' and I would expect that my laptop would go to a real sleep, that is then woken by a real intent. Instead I get full fans at random with the laptop turning on to scare me or even worse.. decides to go to sleeping beauty sleep mode .. when only a hard restart wakes it up .. really really sorry to have chosen an XPS. No to mention I had to uninstall 'Killer' to avoid having random BSOD on it. I really feel disappointed in the lost potential here in a very nice looking laptop that can't do what cheap ones can.

4 Operator

• 

9.4K Posts

December 3rd, 2018 05:00

Hi wzdxy,

Thanks for posting.  Apologies if your system is not performing as expected.

As explained earlier, the BIOS control over sleep is no longer available in this model.  However, you can adjust the sleep settings in Windows 10:

Start-Settings-System-Power & Sleep. From here you can change the settings for each to your desired setting. After you have done each one of these click on Additional Power Settings at the bottom. Click om each settings on the left hand column and change the settings on the right. Do this for each one. These should take care of your sleep settings for the computer.

Windows 10: Troubleshooting sleep/hibernation issues on your Dell PC

1 Message

December 3rd, 2018 11:00

Hello.  Just happened to be troubleshooting this issue and noticed there was a BIOS update today (12/3/2018).  While I don't think it gave me the original BIOS options back pre-1.3, I do see a change here in terms of supported power modes:

PS C:\Windows\system32> powercfg /a
The following sleep states are available on this system:
    Standby (S3)
    Hibernate
    Hybrid Sleep
    Fast Startup

The following sleep states are not available on this system:
    Standby (S1)
        The system firmware does not support this standby state.

Standby (S2)
        The system firmware does not support this standby state.

Standby (S0 Low Power Idle)

PS C:\Windows\system32>

Prior to this I had S3 unavailable and S0 the supported mode.

Also, the power plan advanced settings seem to be different.

control.exe powercfg.cpl,,3

1 Rookie

• 

54 Posts

December 3rd, 2018 14:00

just installed last BIOS update, S3 mode is not available.

This is so stupid!..why can't we have a technology that is more than 10 years old on a new laptop?! WHY!?!?

Dear Dell, less carbon fiber, more effective technology PLEASE! First time a dell user, and already thinking at my next laptop...can't believe this !

10 Posts

December 8th, 2018 07:00

I bought this laptop in cyber monday, I always use the updated drivers .. and when I updated them immediately I realized that the battery was starting to consume too much with the laptop closed .. the fans are still working when I keep it in my bag, I do not know how long they are working. But I know that when I'm going to use it again, I open the screen and it does not wake up, I press any key and it does not wake up either. I have to press the power button and wait for it to charge. It is as if it were a way of hibernation.

21 Posts

December 9th, 2018 04:00

for anyone who wants the s3 sleep back. Just return and refund your devices. Dell will not fix it because they don't find it as a problem and they don't care about the users. Common users don't understand this problem so the minority will be ignored.

December 10th, 2018 16:00

Wow this is incredibly respectless treatment of your customers. If you read through the thread you definitely see that the people here has technical knowledge, and yet you dismiss their complaint with an obviously insufficient answer. I just got my xps15 today, and I am considering returning it because of this issue. 

21 Posts

December 12th, 2018 01:00

They should downgrade all the way to 1.2.2. But this is not possible? Dell has blocked the BIOS downgrade starting at 1.4.0.

1 Rookie

• 

490 Posts

December 12th, 2018 03:00

> Dell has decided to support the "Modern Standby" from our partner Microsoft.

Also, I guess few people would be complaining over this if Modern Standby wouldn't have obvious issues, such as consuming battery charge much faster; the laptop not actually appearing to enter sleep upon transition; the supposedly-sleeping laptop running hot.

As a part-time sysadmin I can't recommend our users to buy Dell laptops knowing that sleep is broken and hibernation isn't reliable either. Many of our users tend to use a desktop with many open windows so it isn't practical to make a shutdown every day. It is perfectly clear to me that these issues are difficult to debug, but it is also obvious that Dell isn't paying enough attention. Lenovo did re-enable S3 sleep after user complaints. 

4 Operator

• 

9.4K Posts

December 12th, 2018 03:00

Hi mark1985,

Thanks for your observation.  

My information was from KB Article SLN314237, The article states:  As XPS 9570/Precision 5530 is modern standby supported platform, S3 mode is not officially supported per platform design. Refer to the Microsoft support site for the behavior difference between S3 and Modern standby.  Please guide the customer to apply the BIOS 1.5.0 from Dell support site.  For those systems with Force Sleep enabled and then applied the BIOS 1.5.0, the system would be capable to run S3.  

Since you've said this isn't working, I'll let the engineers know.  Thanks.

12 Posts

December 12th, 2018 23:00

Hi Robert,

The 9570 does not go into a proper sleep mode!

This is very dangerous, I put it in my bag to take the train and when I got back to a desk I found it very hot and melted the chocolate I had in the bag!

Dell, your hardware supports s3 as previous Bios confirmed, why don't you simply give the user the option in Bios? Just set it off by default if you prefer the user not to use it but removing it from Bios is such a shame considering that the laptop could damage itself and even the customer  

This, plus the audio latency problem (it's impossible to make music or videos, Fank Azor told us a team is working but no news) and the gpu throttling bug (at last Dell officially admitted it and said they're working on new Bios to fix it) ..

Please let us know if engineers will fix those three BIG problems in next Bios update

Plus, the screen is often misglued to the lid, mine too. Where is even a basic QC?

A very good laptop ends up forcing the user to return it back and spread the voice, "do not buy Dell laptops anymore folks"

My two cents,

Thank you 

No Events found!