Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 8th, 2018 08:00

XPS 15-9570, BIOS 1.3.0, sleep mode gone?

I just bought my XPS 15-9570 with BIOS 1.2.2 installed, and I updated it to BIOS 1.3.0. I realized that the "sleep mode" option is now gone. I need to set this to "Force S3" sleep to prevent the laptop from waking up randomly, or don't go to sleep properly. So can I do that in the new BIOS?

IMG_20180805_165645.jpg

27 Posts

May 19th, 2019 14:00

The BIOS option to force S3 is what lets us install Windows /without/ it defulting to S0.

Otherwise at install it default to S0.

Then requires a reinstall to switch to S3.

But it then defaults to S0 requiring a reinstall to switch to S3.

Until Dell gives us the force S3 option back.

1 Message

July 2nd, 2019 13:00

This is not a fix, but it is my favorite alternative.  These laptops will hibernate, even though the option is not shown in the power menu. 

Create a batch file called hibernate.bat on the desktop with the following command:

shutdown /h

It will save the state to disk, and shutdown. then it will restore when powered back on - which all happens pretty fast thanks to the SSD.

2 Posts

July 28th, 2019 14:00

It shouldn‘t but it does. Just read all the comments around the internet.

3 Posts

August 22nd, 2019 01:00

Been having the same issue and I somehow sorted it out (still testing though). My laptop wouldn't go to sleep and what's worse, S0 Low Power seemed to make Linux VMs in VMWare player freeze when I the host was going into that state. So last evening I set off on trying to sort it out.

* I've updated my BIOS to latest (1.18).

At this point when checking `powercfg -a` it would say S3 is not available because of S0 Low Power

* Enabled S1-S3 in GPO: https://superuser.com/questions/1179987/activate-sleep-states-after-win10-install

* And then disabled Modern standby in registry https://code.luasoftware.com/tutorials/windows/win10-problematic-modern-standby/

At this point when checking `powercfg -a` it would say S3 is supported and S0 Low Power not available.

I can't remember what version of BIOS I was running when I'd last installed the OS. There's posts saying that some settings will only work if when installing the OS S3 was available. So perhaps I was on a version that still supported S3 when I've installed the OS ...

Hope it helps others as well ...

2 Posts

September 3rd, 2019 12:00

I can't thank you enough for this! For months I've been searching for a solution and yours seems to be working.

3 Posts

September 3rd, 2019 14:00

"At this point when checking `powercfg -a` it would say S3 is supported and S0 Low Power not available."

Didn't show up for me when I first tried, but somehow it worked after the third time. Seems like it needed a proper restart in between. My laptop is now sleeping... thank you!! 

2 Posts

September 6th, 2019 08:00

Only problem I'm running into now is that that my network adapter isn't recognized after coming out of sleep. Somebody has a fix for this?

21 Posts

September 8th, 2019 15:00

It really works man. All probs to you! Thanks

1 Message

September 15th, 2019 23:00

Thank you! It almost work for me too, with the following exception: If I have a media playing then I close the lid, the laptop will not wake up again (black screen, but light in keyboard). I'm really happy that this is working because for some reason it take >2 minutes to boot windows on this darn thing.

11 Posts

October 5th, 2019 11:00

Hi,

Hi polarbeardk,

It could be that the power multimedia settings are messing with the sleep settings. I can reproduce your problem with a second screenattached by making a change in my power settings. So maybe that is set the way I set it to reproduce the problem.

Go to: Control Panel -> All Control Panel Items -> Power Options -> Edit Plan Settings.

Click on advanced power settings.

In advanced settings go to Multimedia settings -> When sharing media -> prevent idling to sleep

Not sure if this is the fix so remember how it was set before you change it.

October 15th, 2019 14:00

I just logged in to say THANK YOU! I'm so happy to have normal sleep back. Last night I had charged my laptop to 100%. I got to work this morning about 10 hours later, and my laptop had 64% battery left! Found this solution, and battery life is back to what it should be. Thanks!

1 Message

February 11th, 2020 20:00

Ooooh yeah you nailed it! THANK YOU SO MUCH @Stijn2 !.

No Events found!