Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 11th, 2018 07:00

XPS 15 9570 Fingerprint Software

Hello,

I just started using an XPS 15 9570, and I don't seem to have the options to use my fingerprint scanner as I've had on other Dell models, at least to the same extent.

I used to use a Precision that had an application (Dell Data Security Protection, or something like that) which allowed me to use the fingerprint scanner to log on to windows, websites, etc. It would store log on information so whenever I was presented with a log on screen, I could scan my fingerprint, and the username/email and password would be filled in.

This new laptop allows me to use Windows Hello so that my fingerprint can allow me to log on to windows, but I'm missing most of the functionality I had before (logging into websites, etc.)

I can't find any other driver/firmware/utility for the XPS 15 9570, so I'm assuming this functionality hasn't been implemented yet. Am I missing something? Is this functionality planned for this model? If not, is there anything else I can use to gain this functionality?

Thanks for reading.

• 

16.7K Posts

cvansickle,

Windows Hello in Windows 10 only allows for using the fingerprint reader to log into Windows at this time. There may be some 3rd party software to use that will allow you to log into other websites. As of right now it is only used to log into Windows 10.

Yes, I realize the limitations of Windows Hello. I was just curious regarding the lack of functionality on this newer Dell model that I've had on previous models.

Do you know why this laptop doesn't have the fingerprint functionality that I've come to expect from Dell?

10 Elder

• 

23.3K Posts

The Precision models are designed for business use, with features set accordingly.  The XPS is a consumer model (yes, it's sold for business use as well, but it's designed for consumers) - it doesn't have the same feature set.  One look at the price difference between the XPS and Precision series will tell you why.

October 11th, 2018 13:00

@ejn63 wrote:

The Precision models are designed for business use, with features set accordingly.  The XPS is a consumer model (yes, it's sold for business use as well, but it's designed for consumers) - it doesn't have the same feature set.  One look at the price difference between the XPS and Precision series will tell you why.

Well, considering most of the newer precisions that I'm seeing around here don't even have fingerprint scanners on them, I'm guessing that's not really the reason. Seems like Dell just hasn't gotten around to updating the security software for the newer XPS platform. Why waste the money to put a fingerprint scanner onto the XPS without utilizing the software that has already been developed?

1 Message

August 16th, 2019 02:00

well said. Hope there is a compromise available soon

No Events found!