Start a Conversation

Unsolved

2 Posts

January 6th, 2021 07:00

XPS 15 9570 Intermittent Black Screen

My laptop screen will go black for <1 sec every once and a while with no discernible pattern. It only happens when running programs on integrated graphics.  All programs/audio will continue to play, the screen just turns off.  I have used Intel's support tools to fully update the drivers.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

January 6th, 2021 08:00

That was a big mistake using Intel's drivers. Dell customized Intel's as well as all other manufacturers' drivers for your exact model. Get the original drivers from Dell Downloads and install them.

Support for XPS 15 9570 | Drivers & Downloads | Dell US

2 Posts

January 6th, 2021 08:00

Ok great, but the issue was happening before i used intel's tools so this wont fix the issue.

1 Message

January 12th, 2023 19:00

I have owned A 9570 since it first came out, late 2018 or thereabouts.  And I have searched high and wide for a solution to this problem since the black screen issue started appearing which was probably a year or so after I bought the system.  Within the last month, I actually found the answer.  It is related to Intel drivers, or more specifically to a particular Intel driver, the Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver and associated software.  Removing it is a bit of a procedural chore so I am going to abbreviate here and leave you to your own devices to work out exactly how to make this happen.  Essentially, you have got to remove the software, which should show up in your control panel or if you use Revo or some other comprehensive software removal tool it will also show up there.  But but but but but but, do not go rushing off to do that just yet, you have to remove the driver, which you will find in your device manager (and I am not going to go through how to bring up device manager; if you do not know that forget it will have to live with your black screen crashes until you figure that out).  But but but but do not rush off to do that either because there is another part of the equation you have to take care of and that is you have got to make sure that your bios is not set to RAID sata configuration, which is entirely unnecessary and actually counterproductive assuming your system is set up with and SSD only, which mine is.  I am not sure whether 9570s were available with traditional HDD's or not but if yours does operate off of a traditional HDD or with some combination of SSD and HDD, you will have to experiment a little to get rid of the problem.  My fix is applicable as far as I know only to my system, which is a 9570, with i7 9750H processor, HD touchscreen, an aftermarket Samsung 9570  1TB SSD and 64 GB RAM , but should work with any stock  9570 with SSD and i7 processor.  So as I was saying, RAID set up in bios is unnecessary and in this case counterproductive since it is related to the black screen crashes.  To reset the sata setting setting in bios you have to first set the system up for SafeBoot.  It will not work if you do not and may render your system unbootable ( although if that happens you should be able to reboot into bios and change the sata setting back to RAID, then reboot and start over by setting the system up for SafeBoot).  So with  the system set up for SafeBoot, go into bios, change the sata setting from RAID to AHCI.  Reboot, then came the system back to normal boot from SafeBoot, reboot again and that part of the fix is done.  Now the rest of us have the fix requires a number of different steps, which will give you an approximate order but you can fiddle around and figure it out.  First go into your service manager and you should find an IRST service, which if it is set in automatic or manual, go ahead and disable it.  Now, the full fix requires removing the software and searching out and either removing ( uninstalling) the IRST driver.  I forget which order I did this and but, again you can figure it out with trial and error.  I think I uninstalled the software first with Revo which also takes out a bunch of additional files to clean up your system from any residue from the software.  If for some reason your system is not letting you uninstall software or you are getting messages from Intel requesting that you update the IRST software, ignore them and do these steps in different order.  At any rate, uninstall the software.  To ensure that this is done properly, you can go back into your service manager and search again for the IRST service.  It should now be completely gone.  The rest of the fix is done in device manager (DM).  so, in DM, there are three places to look to fix this.  One is under IDE/ATA etc. controllers.  I tried uninstalling this, with no success it would reinstall on reboot, so instead I just disabled it.  Which works assuming you also take care of the remaining two items.  The second item is under disk drives.  I believe if you have uninstalled theIRST software correctly you should just have your SSD controller shown here, but double check by selecting show hidden devices under view.  Anything that looks like IRST or one of one of its offspring which will look like IAstor... Or something like this needs to be uninstalled.  Finally the last thing is under storage controllers.  Look for the same thing  anything looking like IRST or IAstor etc.  uninstall.  The double check that the drivers are properly uninstalled, use a utility like Nirsoft driver view to make sure that nothing like IAstor is still listed as being booted up with the system.  Oh and one last thing I forgot, check your AutoRuns.  I use AutoRun's I believe from Nirsoft or possibly from sysinternal's I forget which (again if you do not know either of those two things look him up there worth it).  Anyway I still had IAstor listed in AutoRuns , so I simply unchecked it so it would not there after boot into the system.  So that is it.  Sorry for the disorganized presentation but this fixes the system.  And yes by the way I tried all other Intel drivers previously.  In my system at least, the black screen crash was specifically related to IRST and nothing else, in the solution does not require updating or anything else.  It requires removing IRST and all other related drivers altogether.  And since they are completely nonfunctional with a system running off of an SSD, your performance will not be adversely affected.

No Events found!