Start a Conversation

Unsolved

P

7 Posts

January 24th, 2022 12:00

XPS 15 9570 Keyboard Issues

Hi all,

I'm having issues with my keyboard. I feel like I have tried everything under the sun, with no resolution. Basically the issue is this: I can sometimes get my keyboard to respond enough for me to sign in and maybe type a few sentences. If I put the computer to sleep, unplug the AC, or connect anything via USB, the keyboard stops responding. Sometimes, I don't even have to connect anything for it to stop working. However, the above are the normal triggers.

After two clean installs and tons of tinkering, I think I have narrowed it down to the Goodix Fingerprint Sensor/Driver.

If I disable the fingerprint sensor and then uninstall the USB hub and restart, I can get my keyboard back for a short time. It seems like something triggers it to then stop again, but I'm not entirely sure what it is. I have also tried the option of unchecking the box about allowing the computer to put the Fingerprint sensor to sleep. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

I have tried to uninstall Goodix permanently, but this thing just keeps coming back. I've tried to remove it from the registry, but no dice there either. Interestingly, I cannot seem to find ot at all in my BIOS options anywhere. I have gone through every tab. Ideally, I would like to permanently disable Goodix. I do not want Biometrics. Even more so, if its going to cause my computer to struggle.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the PS/2 and HID keyboard devices and drivers. No dice.

I've gone through the Event Viewer and I have multiple errors and warnings, which I have been trying to resolve to see what's going on. Most of the warnings are related to DCOM errors, but I don't think those have any real bearing on the problem.

As a note, using an external USB keyboard works just fine. I just think it is really annoying to have a hard keyboard that isn't working.

Windows is up-to-date. BIOS is up-to-date. Also tried to downgrade the BIOS to see if that would help, and it didn't at all.

Here are some of the recurring errors I find:

The device Goodix fingerprint (location xxxx) is offline due to a user-mode driver crash. Windows will attempt to restart the device in the shared process 1 more times before moving the device in its own process. Please contact the device manufacturer for more information about this problem. EVENT ID: 10116

A problem has occurred with one or more user-mode drivers and the hosting process has been terminated. This may temporarily interrupt your ability to access the devices. EVENT ID: 10110

The driver\Driver\WudfRd failed to load for the device USB\VID_27C6&PID_5395&MI_00\6&25de4786&15&0000. EVENT ID: 219

The driver\Driver\WudfRD failed to load for the device ACPI\INT3400\2&daba3ff&0. EVENT ID: 219

I've found a number of forums online about these various topics but nothing so far has helped me. Is there anyone out there that has had this problem? Any solutions? I'm baffled as to what else I can do with this.

10 Elder

• 

24.7K Posts

February 23rd, 2022 08:00

Remove the base cover and check the battery -- is there any sign of it swelling (often, a misbehaving keyboard or touchpad is the first sign of a battery that's starting to swell)?

2 Posts

February 23rd, 2022 08:00

I am responding to this thread because I am facing basically the same problem. I am way less computer savvy but it seems to me the issue is the same:

1) One month ago I updated the bios;
2) some time after that, my keyboard started to act up, pressing keys at random (mostly strings of b, n, -, and 2) , giving random inputs and scrolling incredibly fast through documents, webpages, or menus (I am assuming it's either because of the down or shift keys firing at random).

3) I tried resetting to factory, rolling back bios, using external keyboards, flashing the bios via usb (as was suggested elsewhere). I brought the computer to a technician, who has ordered a new keyboard and thinks it may be an hardware issue.

4) most recently, after all sorts of fixes, at some point the goodix fingerprint reader just stopped working.

5) *Most interestingly*, when I turn the laptop on, everything works fine for like 30min to an 1h, and only then the keyboard starts misfiring and working at random. So, yes, there seems to be some trigger at some point, causing the laptop to misbehave.

The more I read into it, the more it seems to me a software issue (I don't think changing the physical keyboard will do anything). Dell's customer service on the phone and email had no idea of what to do with this issue, they suggested sending it to them to check the hardware. I cannot afford 2 weeks without the laptop so I declined.)

This is driving me mad to the point of buying a new laptop and call it quit.

2 Posts

February 23rd, 2022 12:00

Hi and thank you for your answer. The first thing I did (and forgot to write in the post above) was checking the battery, which was in perfect shape (it also lasts for a long time, so I think it is not a battery issue).

The technician I talked to changed that small (3x1.5 cm circa) connector chip (I think it connects keyboard and touchpad), but the problem persists.

Today the laptop went through a whole series of updates, and now the issue seems better, but I still experience the occasional "flare up" of random inputs.

Furthermore, the fingerprint reader is still not working, or rather it seems to register my finger for a split second, before redirecting me to input the PIN

As a sidenote, if I tap with some slight force the laptop's chassis on the right side of the touchpad, the issue disappears for a while. Is this an hardware issue then? If so, why an external usb keyboard wouldn't bypass it?

[EDIT: funnily enough, the keyboard started acting weird the moment I finished writing this answer.]

7 Posts

May 9th, 2022 15:00

Like Klorenzo, I also do not have any battery issues at all. I wish I had a solution to at least disable the Goodix Fingerprint Sensor permanently to try to eliminate that variable.

1 Message

July 17th, 2023 08:00

I have this exact same issue. I opened up my 9570 and everything was fine inside. this is infuriating because I'm going to have to buy a new laptop due to a *software or firmware* bug. this is making it totally unusable. I have tried turning off filter keys. I have tried registry fixes. I have worked through BIOS settings. i've clean installed. but nothing works. I am never buying a Dell computer again.

1 Message

September 19th, 2023 12:46

Having intermittent issues with my keyboard as well. Also fingerprint sensor having intermittent issues, so definitely it could be related. I found that the fingerprint sensor problem is that the connector inside the laptop is not making a good contact. Cleaning the connector and reconnecting the fingerprint board makes it work for a while but then after some time it gives error on device manager or just doesn't show up at all (may be the connection is not good enough to support vibrations or movements when going around with the laptop).
I noticed that keyboard works fine or at least better when the fingerprint doesn't appear on device manager, so probably I'll disconnect it permanently to test if the keyboard issues disappear.

(edited)

No Events found!