Start a Conversation

Unsolved

D

3 Posts

September 23rd, 2018 16:00

XPS 15 9570 Laptop Freezes and Blue Screen

Laptop freezes and blue screen when unplugged or removed connected iOS devices through the thunderbolt 3 type c port. Pretty sure it's not the phone issue as I had tested two same and one older model's iPhone, and a iPad. Cable is Apple official lighting to type C cable.

USB-C to Lightning Cable (1 m) https://store.apple.com/au/xc/product/MQGJ2FE/A

Connecting and removing SSD connected through type C has no issues. 

Blue screen error messages are either critical_process_died or video_dxgkrnl_fatal_error. Can't figure out what it is relating to.

Called through Dell support for 3 times. 

1st call, did SupportAssist, Dell Update, BIOS update and Fn+Power (20sec) diagnostic, all passed. Problem still exists.

2nd call, asked me to do windows reset. Once windows reset and logged on, reperform connect then disconnect, stll freezes and blue screen. 

3rd call, said that it might be Apples cable issue. Told by support, something to do with protocol that Apple Type C might be thunderbolt 2 instead of 3/3.1 that XPS supports. After hung up the phone, went to Apple website and the specs of the cable shown as Thunderbolt 3.

Problem still exists, nothing was solved after calling support.

3 Posts

September 24th, 2018 03:00

Tried disabling the device before unplugging. The weird thing is event after disabled, the phone still shows it's charging and after unplugging, it still freezes and blue screen. 

Regarding uninstalling driver, which one should I uninstall?790C26B7-F14C-437A-A301-D272BFA98D1D.jpeg

20 Posts

September 24th, 2018 03:00

This sounds like a driver issue. Just to be sure you may try to deactivate the device from the device manager before disconnecting it. Another attempt could be to update/uninstall the driver and see what Windows suggests.

20 Posts

September 24th, 2018 09:00

I have a 9550, but I checked and they are available on the Dell support page for your device as well, you may check with your machine tag number or with dell update utilities if you use them.

20 Posts

I was talking about the driver that control your plugged phone, but considering the behavior described you may as well check the thunderbolt alone. There were recently a thunderbolt controller driver update 2 weeks ago and a firmware update in august. What's your situation about these drivers?

P.s.: I am just a regular user, but this may help some representative too.

3 Posts

Regarding the updates you mentioned. Are they windows update or Dell update?

February 15th, 2019 18:00

Hello Have you found a resolution to your problem? I am having a similar issue but when I try to use fastboot/adb for my pixel 2 via the USB C port. The computer just hangs and never recovers. I would not expect a malfunction of this nature from such an expensive laptop. It seems like it might be a universal issue.

1 Message

March 21st, 2019 04:00

I'm having exactly the same issue with my XPS 15 9570. Anyone have a guide to resolve the issue? I have a video of the issue occurring if it's useful. Thanks, -Adrian
No Events found!