Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 18th, 2018 06:00

XPS 15 9570 - Problems with USB keyboard

Hi, I have a problem with the USB keyboard connected with the docking station (DELL D3100) of my XPS 15 9570.

First of all:
I already replaced the keyboard and the docking station but the problem still persists.
I also updated all drivers to the latest version and I've installed the latest BIOS version.

Problem:
When typing on the USB keyboard every few words the input freezes and afterwards the last pressed key appears multipleeeeeeeeeeeeee times.

Has anybody faced the same or similar problems and is able to help me?

Thanks and regards.

1 Message

March 27th, 2019 09:00

Same problem, but it was only happening when I was connecting to an external device using USB-to-serial adapters, such as Arduino or Atmel development boards (I'm in electronics engineering). The USB keyboard and mouse would freeze periodically and sometimes disconnect/reconnect. As soon as I terminated the serial session, they would work normally. I updated BIOS firmware, various drivers, Windows registry tweaks, etc, to no avail. It seems disabling the C-State and/or the Thunderbolt Auto-switching is the fix. (I did both at the same time.) So these are definitely on the right track. By the way, it doesn't matter if the keyboard/mouse is plugged directly into the laptop, an external USB hub, or in my D6000 docking station. All combinations were susceptible to the problem.

1 Message

December 4th, 2018 06:00

I'm having this exact same issue with my Dell XPS 15 9570, Dell Thunderbolt Dock TB16 and Das Keyboard Professional 4.

December 18th, 2018 09:00

We have 2 XPS 15 9570, they both do it. Updated all drivers, BIOS, Firmware, Windows updates, different keyboards.

Nothing Fixes it.

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

December 18th, 2018 10:00

Thank you for your message. How long have you been having this issue?

Does this happen if you bypass the docking station & connect directly to the notebook?

Have you tried different USB ports & did you observe the issue?

For my reference, please click on the message tab next to your avatar– click “New Message” & search for my Dell username (Dell-Sreejith R) & send a private message with the service tag, registered name & email address.

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it?

1 Message

January 23rd, 2019 01:00

I have the same issue. Was any solution found?

I have a belkin docking station connected over usb3.0. My mouse pointer also freezes togethere with the keyboard inputs. It does not happen when connecting the mouse directly to the laptop.

5 Posts

January 28th, 2019 09:00

It seems that the TB driver causes it and I am suffering the same problem.

5 Posts

January 29th, 2019 06:00

I have also installed Hackintosh and everything works well in Hackintosh, so I suspect Windows may have some problem in communicating with thunderbolt or bios and thus causes the problem.

After restarting many times, I think I find the solution.

Go to BIOS->System Configuration->ThunderBolt Auto Switch. Disabling "Auto Switch" and Checking "BIOS assist enumeration" or "Native enumeration" both do tricks for me. Give it a try and hope you can solve the annoying problem.

My BIOS version is 1.7.0, but I think 1.6.0 should also work.

February 1st, 2019 13:00

@Lazymio wrote:

Go to BIOS->System Configuration->ThunderBolt Auto Switch. Disabling "Auto Switch" and Checking "BIOS assist enumeration" or "Native enumeration" both do tricks for me. Give it a try and hope you can solve the annoying problem.

My BIOS version is 1.7.0, but I think 1.6.0 should also work.

I tried this with BIOS v1.7 but it didn't work for me. I still have the problems.

See also here for more information: https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/XPS-9570-Unrecoverable-freezing/m-p/6245019/highlight/true#M23033

Best

Simon

1 Message

February 4th, 2019 04:00

Hi, recently I upgraded my xps 15 9550 with xps 15 9570. I have docking station WD15 (180W). I have same issues with keyboard and mouse, mouse cursor sometimes freezes when I move mouse and then reappears at different place. Keyboard issues are missing keystrokes(aka kerd insead of keyboard) or reapeated letter(aka keyboarddddddddd ). I had none of this issues on xps 15 9550. I happens randomly, maybe few times in 10 minutes.

February 18th, 2019 06:00

I am also having the issue with sticking keys on the usb and bluetooth keyboards.  I have XPS 15 9575.  I have updated firmware on both laptop and docking station.  I have tried multiple usb ports and replaced the docking station.  The issue still persists.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  

February 18th, 2019 07:00

I also had this issue and on the advice of another forum member I disabled C-State control in the BIOS today (this controls the processor going into various power saving states when it is idle). This is different to speed step which alters the speed when the processor is in use. Seems to have done the trick for me but I suggest you do your own research.

From my limitied understanding it will likely use more power and may increase temperature a bit, but so far all good for me and no keyboard repeats.

Obviously it would be better if Dell or their partners could fix whatever is causing the issue in the first place.

March 20th, 2019 08:00

Thanks for sharing the issue!! Same problem at me. Tried everything. Reinstalled Windows completely. Installed numerous BIOS updated and all other updates over the time. Problem occurs at home with external keyboard. Problem occurs at work when external keyboard is attached via Thunderbold docking station. Filed already a service request four month ago. The problem persissssssssssssts :-((( Will try your advice with the C-State. Sounds a reasonable explanation for what's going on.

1 Message

August 23rd, 2019 02:00

same issue! is there a solution? 

2 Posts

January 14th, 2020 10:00

Mine is doing the exact same thing (external keyboard)-- have tried multiple keyboards, with or without usb hubs, updated all the software, including firmware, erased windows and reinstalled, Dell has even replaced the motherboard yesterday and same issue.

My issue really comes out with an external monitor and the dell xps lid closed.  Keyvboooooooooooooooooo) will do that -- and may or may not even detttttttttttttttttteeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeect an input

1 Message

August 22nd, 2023 07:03

It's 5 years later, having the same issue. Anyone know what might be causing this? I've switched to a new wireless keyboard and new docking station but still happens.

Mine is XPS 15 9530

(edited)

No Events found!