Start a Conversation

Unsolved

C

53 Posts

October 6th, 2018 12:00

XPS 15-9570, bring back the 78°C GPU set point

I am requesting that Dell brings back the previous 78C set-point for GPU throttling.  Setting the GPU to throttle at 74C is just way too low and doesn't allow the 1050ti to run at reasonable rates.  If Dell won't allow this, then allow us to go back to bios 1.3.0 or 1.2.2 so we can use our laptop. 

53 Posts

December 4th, 2018 10:00

Sadly if the X1 Extreme is even reasonably decent I'm going to keep it and return the XPS.  I am sad because I like the majority of the system, just need Dell to fix their issues. 

41 Posts

December 5th, 2018 01:00

Dell's got major flaws with the design of this model. Funny thing is they've bothered to send more surveys after I've posted on this forum, and after dropping a lot of 1s on their customer support feedback. But didn't get back to actually work on solving the problems. So just maybe.. if everyone could use the surveys to show customers are not happy, it will eventually reach the attention of decision factors at Dell. 

53 Posts

January 12th, 2019 03:00

I was assured by Dell "technical support" that bios 1.7.0 would fix the throttle setpoint, well it's out and doesn't fix it.  This is crazy, how long does Dell expect customers to wait?  I boxed up the XPS and sold it on ebay and am using a Lenovo X1 Extreme without such bugs.

27 Posts

January 12th, 2019 03:00

Now I am also thinking to sell it and buy other. The Technical Support is a joke and these laptops are only expensive toys.

53 Posts

April 3rd, 2019 05:00

Well after months of "working" with Dell they gave me my final answer:

"As per our Engineering team this is Working as intended. BIOS team is not planning on releasing a BIOS that sets throttling back to 78C. This was tested in our Lab & FPS looked normal and 3DMark11 scores passed our performance criteria for each configuration.

Respectfully,
Dell Technical Support"

Looks like Dell doesn't actually care about their customers.

27 Posts

April 3rd, 2019 10:00

They are engineers.

28 Posts

April 6th, 2019 06:00

-delete

28 Posts

April 6th, 2019 06:00

@custom90gt  schrieb:

I was assured by Dell "technical support" that bios 1.7.0 would fix the throttle setpoint, well it's out and doesn't fix it.  This is crazy, how long does Dell expect customers to wait?  I boxed up the XPS and sold it on ebay and am using a Lenovo X1 Extreme without such bugs.

I am also considering to sell the XPS for the Lenovo X1.

I am now 6 months in with the XPS and had to put a lot of work and time in to make it more usable (undervolt, fans repair, audio drivers, ...). There are still issues 

I thought about expanding the Premium Support for another 2 or 3 years. But now I am not sure I want to use the XPS longer than a year. As it goes, Dell will most likely cripple the device further with every update.

We don't have certainty that Dell won't make a Bios update and lower the setpoint further to about 70°C. And maybe they will do something similar with the CPU. This device is still relatively new and if the number of customers with broken devices due to high temperatures will rise, they would obviously lower all temperature thresholds.

3 years ago, Dell had a unique selling point with the XPS line. Sleak design, small, powerful hardware, infinity screen. Now the competition got a lot better.

For me the X1 has only two disadvantages compared to the XPS: Smaller battery and darker screen.

In August 2019 the Gen 2 of the X1 should be presented. Let's see how they improve.

The upcoming 9580 from Dell can be as good as it wants to be. With all the software issues, the thermal issues and the QC issues that I have now, I am pretty sure that Dell is not able to improve by much.

So I will let the support plan run out, see what the competition has to offer end of the year and sell the XPS.

April 8th, 2019 16:00

I don't usually game much on my laptop - and I noticed that recently it started acting up and all games became totally unusable. I was scratching my head, wondering if I have gone crazy or the drivers were messed up. Now I found this and realize that it's Dell that updated bios and now my laptop is useless when it comes to GPU!

GPUThrottle.png

What get's me really mad is that this isn't just your run of the mill "you loose 30% performance" throttling - that I can live with, after all it's not a gaming laptop. But when I run a benchmark, I notice that the GPU drops to like 100Mhz, so it's working at 10% performance!

Does anyone else experience throttling this crazy, or is it just me? Mind you, I am in an office in UK, like 20 degrees ambient temperature. What would this work like if it was summer in Dubai? Or is my unit just messed up in some way that's beyond what you guys are discussing here? At the moment it's basically useless and I will be returning it for refund if I don't find a way to solve this.

53 Posts

April 9th, 2019 03:00

IF the temps hit 74 then it will throttle as much as it needs to so that the temps stay there.  No way around it.  Dell doesn't care if your speed drops, they think it's "fine" for 3dmark.  I'd return it if you're in your window.

6 Posts

April 10th, 2019 08:00

What is the return window for these machines? I have a also considering this since it is ridiculous how often the fans kick in on this machine relative to low work load

9.4K Posts

April 10th, 2019 09:00

Hi pirinto,

Here is information that may answer your question.

https://dell.to/2Z3KUNC

53 Posts

April 22nd, 2019 08:00

Bump back up.  The fan issues aren't as bad with bios 1.6.0, but Dell won't fix that in future bios updates.  I still haven't heard anything back from Dell on the GPU set point though, I guess they've put me on ignore...

53 Posts

April 28th, 2019 05:00

Weekly bump, Installed bios 1.9.1 and still at a 75C set-point...

No Events found!