Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 26th, 2018 05:00

XPS 15 9570, fingerprint reader assembly?

Hi All, 

Does anyone know where to buy finger print reader assembly? My XPS 15 9570 doesn't have it, and I would like to have one. So far I can't find any part numbers on Dell web site, or any parts on the net. All I know from Dell manuals is that this x2 pars, the actual reader and fingerprint-reader board.

Thanks 

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

October 26th, 2018 07:00

It's part of the power button - which likely means you will need to replace the palmrest assembly.  Dell Spare Parts is the only place you'll find parts for a system this new - and that's if they even have the palmrest assembly you need.

Also bear in mind this install requires significant disassembly to accomplish - and that anything that might happen won't be covered by warranty.  And if you were to have to return your system to Dell for  warranty repair, you may find it denied when they see the replacement palmrest assembly.

Best strategy:  return the system and order one with the fingerprint reader (through Dell Business -- it's generally not an option for systems sold to consumers).  

If you need to find the part despite this, call Dell Spare Parts.  In the US

1-800-357-3355

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

October 26th, 2018 06:00

Some systems have a fingerprint reader built into the power button. 

If you haven't already, you might check the settings for Windows hello and see if it shows up there or if you have any unknown devices in the Device Manager.

9 Posts

October 26th, 2018 11:00

there is no light on it, its solid plastic with no cut out line for light. 

don't have infrared camera :) so no.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

I checked the manual and it states the fingerprint reader is optional.  If there is a light in the power button, there is no fingerprint reader...

I was wondering if any other Windows Hello options were available, such as the infrared camera for face ID.

9 Posts

there is no warranty on my XPS ( got it cheep of ebay) so i am happy to take it apart, but without the part is no point. the problem is dell wont sell it :( .. so i am stuck parts should show in the net in few months time 

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

October 26th, 2018 17:00

Have we now established the system should have a fingerprint reader? 

In Device Manager, do you show under Biometric devices such a device?

On the downloads page, there is a Goodix Fingerprint Sensor Driver so can we assume that is installed?

if you have experience with a Fingerprint reader, let us know since it would keep down unnecessary responses.

No Events found!