Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 8th, 2018 07:00

XPS 15-9570, keyboard skipping keys

Hi,

I saw the post about the XPS 13 9370 having this same issue. I'm also experiencing it with my XPS 15 9570. It looks like a BIOS update fixed it for that machine. Do we know when there will be an update for the 9570 o address this issue?

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

June 22nd, 2018 02:00

@Mauribom wrote:

Unfortunately the new bios does not solve the problem

@Mauribom thanks for the confirmation.

Alan

4 Posts

June 22nd, 2018 20:00

Hi Dell Alan-D,

I can also confirm that updating the BIOS did not resolve this issue.

Is there any update or ETA on when we can get a fix similar to the 9370 folks?

Thanks

1 Rookie

• 

6 Posts

June 24th, 2018 10:00

Yeah I wouldn't ship it back since it definitely seems to be a firmware issue with the BIOS. Previous laptop versions have experienced the same exact issue and fixed with a BIOS update that specifically fixed that issue. 

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

June 25th, 2018 02:00

Hi all, 

I have passed on the information to our engineering team for further investigation. Once I have more information from the team the thread will be updated by myself or one of my colleagues.

Alan

4 Posts

June 25th, 2018 06:00

Same issue on my 9570. It is a replacement machine after months of tech issues on my old 9550, so it is now doubly frustrating, just as I though my old problems were over. Spoke to Dell in Spain (I am in Malaga) this morning and they are sending a technician out tomorrow to change the keyboard. It seems from this thread that it is not a hardware problem, but at least I'll have a technician here to show the problem to & run tests. I'll show the tech this thread. Very interested to see what comes back from your engineers Dell-Alan D

4 Operator

• 

783 Posts

June 25th, 2018 12:00

@Community,

@Dell-Alan D brought me your question. Below is a history and status update including 9570:

XPS 15 9570 - reported to me earlier this week as having the key skip issue. Working to replicate issue in house

XPS 9550 1.7.0 Improved keyboard typing experience with high typing speed.

XPS 9560 1.9.4 Prevent ghost key trigger while pressing multiple keys at the same time.

Precision 5510 1.7.0 Improved keyboard typing experience with high typing speed.

Precision 5520 1.9.4 Prevent ghost key trigger while pressing multiple keys at the same time.

XPS 13 9370 - Fix introduced in BIOS 1.3.3 and carried over to latest 1.4.0

XPS 13 9365 - Dell engineering has committed to a BIOS update in order to resolve key skip. New ETA to come soon

Latitude 7490 - Dell engineering has committed to a BIOS update in order to resolve key skip. ETA for around 6/30 ( ETA subject to change )

Inspiron 13 5379 - reported to me earlier this week as having the same issue. Working to replicate in house

XPS 15 9570 - reported to me earlier this week as having the same issue. Working to replicate in house 

Latitude 7390 -  Dell engineering has committed to a BIOS update in order to resolve key skip. New ETA to come in the future

Latitude 5590 - Dell engineering has committed to a BIOS update in order to resolve key skip. New ETA to come in the future

June 26th, 2018 13:00

Thanks for the update, Justin. Happy to have you working on this.

7 Posts

June 27th, 2018 08:00

Still hang issues...

1 Message

June 27th, 2018 17:00

Just got my XPS 15, and have been loving every minute of it.  Great machine.

That is, until 48 hours ago when it went through an "update"...now I'd say it's skipping 1 in every 10-15 keys and typing is now frustrating.   Has to be a software issue, right? 

Any tips from you veterans on how to go about getting this fixed?

Thanks.

7 Posts

June 27th, 2018 18:00

I just got mine back from from the repair depot and haven't noticed any issues which is good! It may have been defective prior. They replaced the keyboard and the back panel of the laptop. I'll keep you posted if there is anything else noticeable but for now I am happy with my replacement. 

Thank you. 

2 Posts

June 28th, 2018 21:00

Justin - moderator

This seems to be an on going issue with Dell laptops, so to me it sounds like Dell really does not have a handle on this problem, since it seems to repeat from model to model. I had some screen bleed on bottom of screen I was willing to live with, but now the key board issue I am experiencing makes me think best to just return laptop as defective. I have about 2 days to decide if I have faith in Dell to solve the key board issue before I hit 30 days. I am assuming that If I don't request to return before 30 days is up, then I am stuck with an on going problem with Dell trying to fix the issue on this laptop. I really like the laptop but the key board issue I can't live with.

Mark

7 Posts

June 29th, 2018 07:00

Nope actually, I am sill having the same keyboard skiping issue randomly happens when ting fast or I guess normal speed. Very disapointing. I can't ven type this properly without correcting myself. Sent it in to be replaced and having the same ssue.

7 Posts

June 29th, 2018 07:00

I just recently got my keyboard replaced from the Dell depot. Ithought the keyboard issue was resolved but now I am sill having issues where some keystroes do not register randomly and it is causing typos, errors and frustration. This is not a hardare issue, rather it may be software related or anoverall defct that would need to be recalled. I didn't bother correcting myself in this thread to highlght how frustrating and real this problem is 

4 Posts

June 29th, 2018 11:00

Unless I am mistaken, we are experiencing identical problems to those that were conclusively resolved for other models. As such, can we get an ETA on when this issue will be resolved? 

This issue makes it unusable for myself (and I'm sure many others). I would very much like to avoid giving up and returning it, but it is essentially just a very expensive paperweight as is.

1 Message

June 29th, 2018 12:00

Ive read this whole thread and so far it doesn't seem like anyone has an answer for the keyboard on the 950 (<--- that was typed 9570).  an (<---- was typed Can) anyone tell me if I am supposed to shi (<--- ship) this thing bck (<---back) or wait for an update...can't work like this!! 

No Events found!