Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 8th, 2018 07:00

XPS 15-9570, keyboard skipping keys

Hi,

I saw the post about the XPS 13 9370 having this same issue. I'm also experiencing it with my XPS 15 9570. It looks like a BIOS update fixed it for that machine. Do we know when there will be an update for the 9570 o address this issue?

10 Posts

September 12th, 2018 13:00

The Dell Support told me now that the product engineering team is working on the keyboard problem. There will be a new BIOS Version after October 2018. Pretty late but hopefully it will be fixed with that update. Dell calls the Problem: "Intermittent key presses not recognized when typing".

And they said to me that they are also working on a new version of the realtek audio driver because I had problems with that. I had sometimes an Audio Crackling issue. then I had to disable the realtek audio driver and enable it again to have a clear sound again. Maybe this is interesting for some people here, with the same problem.

10 Posts

September 12th, 2018 13:00

2 Posts

September 13th, 2018 23:00

Still waiting for a fix since Dell release XPS in june. It's really irritating. Hope this gets fixed one day...

73 Posts

September 15th, 2018 21:00

Swerving yes I'm using the latest 630 drivers from Intel's site, that's what fixed it for me.  I still have the Intel UHD graphics control panel as well, not sure why you don't?

10 Posts

September 16th, 2018 02:00

Yesterday I did a clean installation from Windows 10 and installed all the drivers manually and now I have the new intel graphics driver and still the intel graphics settings. And I had no Keyboard skipping problem yet. The System feels more stable now. 

I did the clean installation and downgraded to home because Dell refused to help me after they found out that I am using Windows 10 Pro an not home. They are just offering help when you are using home. Really weird.

September 17th, 2018 00:00

This is my first day using my XPS 15 9570, and I also ran into the keyboard skipping glitch, among a few other odd issues (such as the Caps Lock light staying lit; that seems to have fixed itself after my first reboot). Typing speed has nothing to do with it; even a single keypress can get missed if you pressed it during the intermittent split-second the keyboard cut out. Updating the BIOS or Win10 to the latest versions didn't fix the problem, either; I got everything on this system up to date, yet the keyboard skipping persisted.

However, after checking this thread for answers, I can confirm that this problem was remedied by disabling Panel Self Refresh in the Intel Graphics Settings. So, for those who aren't good with computers, I've made a quick guide to help you out:

1) Right-click anywhere on your desktop background.

2) You should see "Intel® Graphics Settings" in the drop-down menu. Click on that.

3) When Intel Graphics Settings finishes initializing, click on "Power" near the lower right-hand corner.

4) In the "Change Settings for the Plan" menu, you should immediately see "Panel Self Refresh". Underneath that, click on "Disable". 

5) Once it's been disabled, click on "Apply" in the lower right-hand corner.

6) Then, click on "Save Profile". You'll be asked what you want to call the profile. (I called mine "Keyboard Fix", followed by today's date.) Save the new name.

7) When you're done, close out of Intel Graphics Settings.

Now, just open up a program like WordPad or Notepad, type out a whole bunch of sentences, and see if you notice any improvements. As I've been typing out this response, I haven't been running into any problems with the keyboard cutting out anymore. So, whatever's going on with Intel's graphics program, its panel refresh seems to be doing something that's interrupting the XPS' keyboard.

Hope this helps at least some of you who are having problems! :Yes:

September 17th, 2018 13:00

It seems to resolve the problem !

I'm not sure but I didn't have any issue for the moment !

Thanks a lot !

19 Posts

September 18th, 2018 11:00

Hi darkonex2,

How did you install this driver?  There are several ways.

1 right clicking in device manager and do auto update (this is what I did)

2 downloading from Dell & installing manually

3 downloading from intel & installing manually

4 using Dells support assist, this does not work for me

Using one of these methods I ended up with the Intel UHD control panel still installed but would not run!

I have been in touch with support for some time now, and one of their responses was to use an external keyboard & see if the problem still exists, has anyone tried this, & what was the results?  They are trying to blame the internal keyboard.

They also want me to reinstall the operating system, I really trying to resist this as it is a lot of work to get everything up to date, and I don't think it will work anyway.

Anyway, it does not seem too bad at the moment, even after rolling back the video driver!

6 Posts

September 26th, 2018 22:00

This workaround seems to have fixed it for me. Awaiting the official patch/update from Dell.

1 Message

September 27th, 2018 18:00

The self refresh fix seemed to work for me for about a day, maybe it was just luck. Today I am getting a lot more missed keys and the only change is running on battery all day. I checked intel settings and self-refresh is still disabled. I'm updating my intel drivers to the latest to see if that helps, too. I didn't notice his issue until the last month, and I've had hisfor ("this for", that is the first missed keys while typing this) a few moths. ("months", second missed keys)

2 Posts

October 2nd, 2018 13:00

I have downloaded and installed the latest BIOS and am having the exact same issue.(like right there, when I tried to hit the space bar (and then a comma right there), it ust isses the keys. (those are not typos - that's the keyboard).

2 Posts

October 2nd, 2018 13:00

That did it!!! Any idea what that issue we just disabled actually does when it's on?

44 Posts

October 5th, 2018 03:00

Dell just released the new BIOS 1.5.0 with the keyboard skipping fix.
Has anyone tried it???

4 Operator

• 

783 Posts

October 5th, 2018 16:00

@s-plus,

1.6.0 should be released in the very near future and it includes the fix. The fix does not exist in 1.5.0.

10 Posts

October 6th, 2018 02:00

From the Changelog of Bios Version 1.5.0:

"Fixes:
- Updated Intel ME Firmware to address security advisories INTEL-SA-00125 (CVE-2018-3655), Intel-SA-00141 (CVE-2018-3657, CVE-2018-3658 and CVE-2018-3616) and Intel-SA-00131 (CVE-2018-3643 and CVE-2018-3644).
- Improved sleep mode power management in Ubuntu.
- Solved the intermittent issue where the system powers off from hibernation after adapter is plugged or unplugged.
- Fixed the issue with touch screen where it malfunctions after closing and opening the lid.
- Fixed the issue with missing characters while typing when system is in idle mode. 

Enhancements:
- Supports wake from dock LAN feature."

The last fix sounds like the bug with the keyboard and that it got fixed with this Bios-Update. I had no time to test it yet unfortunately. 

No Events found!