Start a Conversation

Unsolved

T

5 Posts

October 1st, 2019 15:00

XPS 15-9570 mousepad popped out

For a few weeks, the mousepad buttons on my laptop were not working as usual; even that I don't use them frequently (I use an external mouse) I noticed the buttons were harder and harder and last week the mousepad popped out of the case.

BTW, this is a 10-month laptop that has not left my office desktop! - XPS-9570, 32GB RAM, 4K Ultra HD

Is there anything that can be done locally without to send the laptop back to Dell, as Dell may take 10 days with the laptop, and I can not afford to not have it for that time.

Please comment if you have seen a similar issue on XPS-9570.

xps-9570-mousepad-02.jpgxps-9570-mousepad-01.jpg

7 Technologist

• 

12K Posts

October 1st, 2019 16:00

The pictures are not visible until approved by a moderator. But if the touchpad has lifted out of the palmrest (case) then about only one thing can cause that. That would be a swollen battery causing the pad to lift. If that is the case, and opening the system to have a look would confirm it, then best to remove the battery at your earliest possible convenience. That battery can cause serious damage to the system and can be a safety concern.

Seeing that the system is under warranty, I would call Dell tech support asap and have them repair the system. It may require more than a battery as the touchpad may need replacement as well as the palmrest but Dell would be the best judge of repairs required.

Just for reference if it is the battery.

https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/Battery-swelling-in-XPS-15-9560/td-p/6226881/page/4

https://www.macworld.com/article/3162109/beware-the-bulgy-battery-lithium-ion-batteries-removed-from-laptops-can-still-be-dangerous.html

489 Posts

October 2nd, 2019 00:00

> Is there anything that can be done locally without to send the laptop back to Dell

Sure, battery replacement is relatively easy, if you have on-site service. Also DIY following the online service manual. It may be difficult to convince Dell to send you a replacement battery, but you can give it a try. 

Meanwhile, the swollen battery is an increased fire hazard and may damage other components, so you should drain it slowly (laptop idling) and get it out very carefully ASAP. The laptop should run off AC power without the battery. 

If you can't get it out, at least drain it, then set zero or the lowest possible charge level in BIOS or using Dell Command | Power Manager. 

> BTW, this is a 10-month laptop that has not left my office desktop!

Could be a manufacturing defect. If using on AC most of the time, better set max charge level to 90% or 80% to increase lifetime, sitting at 100% all the time isn't healthy for li-ion. 

• 

25.1K Posts

October 2nd, 2019 01:00

I understand your callout

However, I cannot promise you on the onsite service at the moment, I can further troubleshoot to isolate the issue and assist you further.

Please capture a clear picture of the battery swollen and share here with us.

Also, confirm if there are any other issue on the system.

You could also, run diagnostics following instruction shared here https://dell.to/2mUwste if you are able to use the system and share the outcome

Dell-KughaluA
Social Media Team

1 Message

October 2nd, 2019 17:00

same with mine!

I have an XPS 9570

and 4 days after my warranty expired this happened. Exactly the same as yours. this really

at least you still have your warranty.

I called Dell Tech support and suggest to send it over for a diagnostic test. it will cost me 78$ just for the shipping and test.. additional fees for actual repairs.

Is there any grace period for people like me that their warranty just expired?

5 Posts

October 3rd, 2019 00:00

Thanks @JOcean , @samos1111 and @DELL-Cares for your prompt replies, and your support.

Effectively as all of you have mentioned, after I open the laptop, the battery was swollen. After I have removed the battery, the mousepad went back to its normal position and is now working properly. 

So far, it looks like the only damage is with the battery.

DSC_0601.JPG

 Thank you,

• 

25.1K Posts

October 3rd, 2019 18:00

Hi there,

While I understand this is a battery issue, we’ll need to thoroughly check the system to resolve all the issue for you.

We can have the battery and all other parts required replaced from our depot, if any. I’ll request you to send the system to our depot.

Also, the normal depot takes about 10 to 12 business days, but as mentioned on our previous message we’ll book an express depot, and this will take 5 to 7 business day.

Let me know if we can proceed

Dell-KughaluA
Social Media Team

5 Posts

October 3rd, 2019 18:00

Now that the battery damaged has been identified, do I still need to send the Laptop to Dell to be repaired? 

@DELL-Cares how can I move forward with the battery replacement?

Thank you

5 Posts

October 3rd, 2019 19:00

Hi @DELL-Cares,

This is my daily use machine, with ton of personal and business information on it. I am not sure how I can manage to be without it for 5-7 business days (that's 2 weeks).

Can I send the machine without the SSD (it is 1TB SSD)? 

Thank you,

• 

25.1K Posts

October 3rd, 2019 19:00

Yes, you could keep the SSD with you and ship the system without SSD.

Please provide the following details  

-Register owner name

-Email ID

-Contact number & Secondary contact number

-Invoice of the system

-Best time to contact you

• 

25.1K Posts

October 7th, 2019 18:00

Greetings,

We have not heard from you. Do reach out to us as per your convenience with the details requested earlier to further assist you. 

We will wait to hear from you

• 

25.1K Posts

October 10th, 2019 05:00

Hi,

This is to inform you that we will be archiving the case from our end as we haven’t heard back from you. If you still need assistance, please get back to us with the reference number: 998636806. We are always available.

Regards,

-Prajesh

5 Posts

October 24th, 2019 22:00

I have sent you a PM with the information requested.

Thank you

1 Message

April 21st, 2020 14:00

ditto

No Events found!