Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 5th, 2019 18:00

XPS 15-9570, not fully going to sleep

Hello My XPS 15 is less than 2 months old and I have this bad issue where the laptop wont fully go to sleep when I put the lid down or when I press the sleep button in windows. I have already made sure that the settings in power options are set correctly. I have also tried resenting windows and updated all the drivers. Nothing seems to work. Any help? I can't have the laptop draining battery when its supposed to be sleeping. Thanks

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

March 4th, 2019 06:00

@Caisson wrote:

Hello My XPS 15 is less than 2 months old and I have this bad issue where the laptop wont fully go to sleep when I put the lid down or when I press the sleep button in windows. I have already made sure that the settings in power options are set correctly. I have also tried resenting windows and updated all the drivers. Nothing seems to work. Any help? I can't have the laptop draining battery when its supposed to be sleeping. Thanks

@Caisson troubleshooting sleep mode issues can be quite in depth therefore we have created the following handy troubleshooting guide. I would recommend working through it to eliminate the basics and then advise if none of the steps resolve the issue - https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln309800/windows-10-troubleshooting-sleep-hibernation-issues-on-your-dell-pc?lang=en

Alan

1 Rookie

• 

490 Posts

February 6th, 2019 02:00

Pity you're probably out of the return period, because returning laptops in sufficient numbers is the only thing that likely gets noticed. You can try yelling at support and demanding superiors - threads here don't seem to attract much attention. 

Dell decided to follow Microsoft's lead and fully embrace Modern Sleep / Connected Standby, even though it is obvious that the latter is obviously inferior regarding battery drain and the fact that the supposedly sleeping laptop may be waking up running hot in bags (very unhealthy for inflation-prone batteries!). The old S3 sleep was killed with an irreversible BIOS update, presumably instead of fixing an issue it was found to have... You should't trust Support saying that S3 isn't supported by the 9570, because it still works under Linux - it is true that it wasn't working perfectly, but it was still better than MS/CS in the abovementioned relevant aspects. 

The workaround at the time is to forget the laptop ever had Sleep mode, and use Hibernate instead. Assuming that it works reliably for you (not always the case unfortunately), and takes some more time to enter and resume unfortunately (the advantage of MS/CS presumably being in saving half a second at this vs S3!?!?). 

5 Posts

February 7th, 2019 03:00

Does charging the registry for csEnabled to 0 help? I saw this "fix" online but I haven't tried it yet. Also for some reason, my laptop doesn't show hibernation mode as an option in windows power option menus.

1 Rookie

• 

490 Posts

March 5th, 2019 00:00

> Does charging the registry for csEnabled to 0 help? I saw this "fix" online but I haven't tried it yet.

You can try it, but it is unofficial, it doesn't seem to work for everyone. 

> Also for some reason, my laptop doesn't show hibernation mode as an option in windows power option menus. 

You may have to enable it first. You need enough disk space for this. 

5 Posts

March 5th, 2019 08:00

I did try that and for the most part, it does work for me. The annoying part is that the laptop now wakes up from sleep mode much more slowly and is glitchy when doing so. The WIFI would disconnect and I would need to reconnect and the screen would only wake up after 5 seconds of either the power button being pressed or the lid of the laptop open. This is quite annoying that a premium device can have this issue. As for hibernation, if you are on Dell's original install of windows, they change something to make it not show up. I got it to show up when I cleaned installed a copy of windows. But, when I contacted Dell about this, the customer service agent did something on the laptop to get the hibernation to go away again. 

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

March 6th, 2019 02:00

@Caisson wrote:

I did try that and for the most part, it does work for me. The annoying part is that the laptop now wakes up from sleep mode much more slowly and is glitchy when doing so. The WIFI would disconnect and I would need to reconnect and the screen would only wake up after 5 seconds of either the power button being pressed or the lid of the laptop open. This is quite annoying that a premium device can have this issue. As for hibernation, if you are on Dell's original install of windows, they change something to make it not show up. I got it to show up when I cleaned installed a copy of windows. But, when I contacted Dell about this, the customer service agent did something on the laptop to get the hibernation to go away again. 

@Caisson what steps are you referring to, the article I posted or the response from the other poster above?

On my own system in front of me, I too have similar issues with the system taking a long time to resume from standby or sleep mode. Normally this is after I have locked Windows and then left the system for a short period of time and the system then goes to sleep. That is normal behaviour for sleep mode.

You have mentioned that one of our agents removed hibernation options, the following steps in this third party article explain how to enable / disable hibernation mode - https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/support-software/How-to-disable-Sleep-Mode-or-Hibernation-793/ 

The command for enabling hibernation is powercfg.exe /hibernate on

If you enable hibernate are you still having problems with the system resuming from sleep / hibernate or is it the length of time it takes that is the problem?

Alan

No Events found!