Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 5th, 2019 09:00

XPS 15-9570, upgrades

ram memoryram memorybiosrammemory.jpgkobalt.jpgwindows memory.jpgenclosure adapter.jpgsolidstatedrive.jpgI thought I would try upgrading the laptop and the original configuration was solid state drive =1TB and the memory was 32GB. I visited Lowe's for an electronic repair kit, tried a few which didn't work for removing screws from laptop and finally I found a Kobalt Repair kit which cost around $40.00 and you probably could find something cheaper somewhere else. Ordered all hardware from AMAZON and the pictures are enclosed, I CAN ONLY REPORT ON WHAT I HAVE DONE SO FAR WHICH WAS A SUCCESS . Still awaiting the 2TB Solid State Drive and the Adapter which will allow Cloning from 1TB---> 2TB and when I receive said hardware I will report. Cloning Hardware is mini partition wizard (Free Version @ Website)

40 Posts

September 9th, 2019 13:00

viewing SSD thru windows.jpgSSD installed 2TB.jpgminipartitionj.jpgminipartitionj1.jpgunallocated.jpgComputer Management.jpgenclosure kit.jpgAll parts came in finally and this is something you do not want to do on a regular basis.

The pictures will show the enclosure for the 2TB drive, I could not get it to stay in so I used a piece of scotch tape to hold the drive in place and then placed the thermal pad over the SSD and then closed it and the enclosure came with a usb to fit this laptop. I did not remove the battery.

Used minipartition as I mentioned earlier which was free. The system booted into windows with the 1TB drive and the enclosure with the 2TB drive was connected via usb. Then called up minipartition in windows and used disk clone. It stayed briefly in windows and indicated in order to complete the process, a reboot was necessary

System went into DOS and pictures show % changes and then when COMPLETE, shut down system and removed 1TB from laptop and replaced with 2TB drive, SCOTCH TAPE WAS NOT AFFECTED BY HEAT

The rest of the pictures show new drive installed in the Dell XPS 9570

No Events found!