Start a Conversation

Unsolved

S

5 Posts

April 7th, 2019 16:00

XPS 15-9570, ways to report quality issues

I bought into this $1700 during the last week of November. I was so swayed by the reviews and ratings, having done sufficient research into the hardware, I think there couldn't have been a better deal than that. However, since that day I have had nothing but regrets.

I have already had my speakers replace, because of the irritatingly jarring sound they generated, just few minutes into operation. The processor packages reach temperatures of 98-100 degree Celsius even with less than 45% of CPU utilization.

Yesterday, another surprising thing came to my notice when I was trying to connect it to an external display Dell Monitor using the HDMI port. It doesn't even detect any device on the HDMI port.

I have basic depot warranty for which I end up wasting 10-12 days. However, that's a matter for different time. Right now what is annoying and disappointing is that how can a laptop be even released into the market without proper hardware checks. For everything they have one solution - change the Motherboard. 

Through this post, I want to know if someone could help me understand what are the for sub-par quality hardware, negligent attitude towards dealing with customers, and subsequent mental harassment. 

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

April 9th, 2019 07:00

This is the XPS Laptops hardware troubleshooting Forum. If you want to complain and not troubleshoot, post on the Customer Care Forum. Here, I can only assist in hardware troubleshooting.

* Your purchased Mail-in Service warranty goes to November 27, 2019

* The Intel Core i7-8750H allowed TJunction temperature is 100°C

* The AC power adapter must be connected to the Laptop when using an external monitor
* To what specific monitor model are you trying to connect?
* What video in ports are on that monitor?
* Using what cable and/or adapter?
* Did you press the Fn+F8 keys to enable the external monitor?

April 9th, 2019 08:00

* The Intel Core i7-8750H allowed TJunction temperature is 100°C

- This doesn't imply that the CPU should clock @ 3.8 GHz for using Google Chrome and then go into Thermal Throttle every time a new tab is being opened in chrome.

* The AC power adapter must be connected to the Laptop when using an external monitor

- Are you kidding me? Since when was this a norm that connecting an external monitor requires the laptop to be connected to the AC Power Adapter?

* To what specific monitor model are you trying to connect?

- Dell U2412M

* WHat video in ports are on that monitor?

- DVI, Display, and VGA

* Using what cable and/or adapter?

- I have tried both - DVI to HDMI and Display to HDMI

* Did you press the Fn+F8 keys to enable the external monitor?

- Obviously, I did. 

The thing is when another Dell laptop, Dell Inspiron is connecting to the same monitor without having any issues or AC adapter connected to it, then what is the problem with a highly overpriced XPS? 

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

April 9th, 2019 09:00

This doesn't imply that the CPU should clock @ 3.8 GHz for using Google Chrome and then go into Thermal Throttle every time a new tab is being opened in chrome.
* You are bringing up a different complaint. I was replying to this, "The processor packages reach temperatures of 98-100 degree Celsius even with less than 45% of CPU utilization.".

Did you install the latest BIOS 1.8.1 and Dell Power Manager Service 3.2.0? Did you then open the Dell Power Manager User's Guide and read the section on Thermal Management?

Are you kidding me? Since when was this a norm that connecting an external monitor requires the laptop to be connected to the AC Power Adapter?
* It is basic troubleshooting to rule out the battery and operating system battery power profiles which may be conflicting with display settings for external monitor.

Obviously, I did.
* You did not state that you did so not obvious which is why I had to ask.

A PC HDMI out port cannot upconvert to a monitor DP (DisplayPort) via a straight cable.

XPS 15-9570 TB3/USB Type-C out port --> USB Type-C to DP adapter --> U2412M DP in port

XPS 15-9570 HDMI out port-- HDMI to DVI cable --> U2412M DVI in port

April 9th, 2019 10:00

None of the answers you have mentioned are the solutions to any of the problems. They are sheer beating around the bush approaches, which is what I have been getting from day one. 

BIOS and all the drivers in my system are already up-to-date and that is not me saying, that is the Dell Support Assist Tool and Dell website's Driver check saying. 

And how is that any different complaint? The complaint is simple What makes the CPU go into thermal throttle if not the poor mechanism for cooling and sub-par quality of thermal paste? Sheer absence of cooling mechanism.

I am well aware of the basic troubleshooting mechanisms. My only job is to not sit and rant on Dell forums.

What do I do with the links to these cables? I already have more than a bunch of them and they seamless work with other laptops and monitors. 

The useless banging my head on the wall with Dell Support continues. Anyways the topic anyway stated that  and some kind soul already sent me a few steps which they have taken and which resulted in their favor. 

No Events found!