Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 15th, 2018 19:00

XPS 15-9575 2-in-1, touchpad freezing

I got my new laptop less than a month ago and have been very happy with it. However, I have noticed that there is sometimes a problem with the touchpad.

Occasionally, the touchpad will freeze and the cursor will stop moving. These freezes last from about half a second to many seconds. Now, this isn't a huge problem, but it is pretty annoying when it happens.

Anyone with the same problem or ideas on how to fix this problem?

5 Posts

October 30th, 2018 12:00

Hi all,

Just an update. I have tried previous BIOS versions (1.1.1, 1.1.5, 1.1.7) and also disabling the Radeon Vega driver. Still the problem persists. My touchpad stutters, clicks randomly (both left and right click), stops mid scroll (two finger scroll), stops when I click and drag... I would really love to hear from a Dell Agent or Moderator on this issue. The Dell warranty third party company are pressuring me to swap out hardware which involves removing all the inner components of my laptop (per the technician). I really don't want to open my laptop and remove the motherboard, drives, or anything else if this is a software bug that Dell is working on. This is pretty frustrating for a $2,000 laptop. I'm really hoping Dell or their customer service shows up with and announcement or something.

October 30th, 2018 13:00

Update 2: I was able to update to System BIOS version 1.1.9 (was not available as option until I was just about ready to make the phone call to return - seeing it, thought I'd give it a try). I re-enabled the graphics device driver before upgrading the BIOS.

• Good news: Battery issues seem to be resolved for now;
  • Bad news: Trackpad issues persist.

Will try to disable the graphics driver in device manager again and see if battery issues re-appear. Give me another 24 hours to evaluate and I will post again.

41 Posts

October 31st, 2018 06:00

That answer is not a solution. The thread shouldn't be marked as solved. Please notify a moderator, as I just did. 

16 Posts

Why is this marked as solved? It clearly is not.

1 Message

How do I do that? I am also dealing with the same problem. It's been going on for about a month or so now but it seems like it's only getting worse!

9 Posts

October 31st, 2018 09:00

@razvi how do you inform the moderator? Because as you said it's not solved!! Dell Belgium said changing the touchpad or hardware will not solve the problem it something software based, possible as lot of us say it's come possible from the bios or controller card update or the GPU software. Dell Belgium/Netherlands they searching and not found a solution. The strange thing is when I using an external Bluetooth mouse and keyboard I have not the problem. 

5 Posts

October 31st, 2018 12:00

Hey @sladang,

Where did you get the update that Dell Belgium says it's a software issue? That would be helpful for me since the local third party Dell technician is trying to pressure me into cracking open the laptop. Thanks for the help!

October 31st, 2018 16:00

Update 3: System BIOS v. 1.1.9

With graphics driver disabled:

• Trackpad issues persist (perhaps a little less so... maybe).
  • Battery drains very fast (3.5 hr life for mostly idle processing on full charge).

With graphics driver enabled:

• Battery sees moderate to underperform behavior (5.5 hr runtime in battery save mode, brightness @ 20% - should be much higher per online CNET and other reviews).
  • Trackpad issues persist.

9 Posts

November 1st, 2018 07:00

I was so tired about this machine that I said to dell Belgium Netherlands to change my touchpad because they said also to change it. But I said to wait because I was on vacation. After my return I contacted them and they said it's no hardware but software problem but there is no dolutsol at the moment. And this was sent by mail to me directly from dell.

16 Posts

November 1st, 2018 09:00

Someone on this thread had their trackpad replaced after reporting issues. The person said their issues went away, but they only used it for a short time. That person has yet to update the thread whether the problem came back.

9 Posts

November 1st, 2018 11:00

@cufflinksWhat is the status of your touchpad? Dell said is software and some others said it’s hardware.

3 Posts

November 1st, 2018 19:00

I have not had the issue reoccur since I had the touchpad replaced, have been using the machine steadily for some time now, no issues.

November 1st, 2018 19:00

I get that same Synaptics error

5 Posts

November 2nd, 2018 06:00

Hi all,

Getting my touchpad replaced today along with some other components (I think). Once the Dell technician finishes the work, I will update you on what was changed and if it works or not. Hang in there! Also, thanks for the update @cufflinks and @sladang! Helps a lot!

9 Posts

November 5th, 2018 09:00

@sborges no problems. Hope it works for you. Keep us posted. If it works with you, can you send a list what is changed on your pc? Thx! 

No Events found!