Start a Conversation

Unsolved

P

2 Posts

December 29th, 2018 12:00

XPS 15 Fans TERRIBLE noise

So today, I unfortunately accidentally dropped my phone onto my beloved Dell XPS's keyboard.

It SEEMED to be OK, until it started to make horrible noises coming out from the fans. I discovered that the CPU fan was running at max RPM and it hasn't quit since.

If I press on the area near the WASD keys, it seems to stop and then start again when I release on the area.

Is the CPU fan underneath that area? Have I damaged the CPU fan with the impact?

I have ran diagnostics on the laptop and can confirm CPU fan is running at max RPM constant.

Thanks,

Pete.

7 Technologist

• 

12K Posts

December 29th, 2018 17:00

The XPS 15 is a series. Specifically which model of XPS 15 do you have? But if I had to guess without knowing the exact model, I would say that the heatsink assy. with the fan might have been damaged or loose causing the heatsink to not be properly in contact with the CPU/GPU. In that case the fan would run at max RPM trying to cool the system. Hard to believe though that a phone (cell ?) would cause that kind of damage.Open up the system and take a look. I suspect the cause of the problem will be pretty obvious. Look for loose cables, loose heatsink and/or fan assy.

December 30th, 2018 13:00

It's a 9560 model - it was quite a significant drop, either way some of the organs have became damaged. I'm going to open up the casing tomorrow and take a look. 

I think you're right, it could be a heat-sink problem. If i press on the back side of the laptop (where the fan grills are) on the leftmost side. The fan spinning become less aggressive. So I suspect there's been some kind of damage to the left side fan. This is also the case if I press down on either (QWERASDFZXC keys) - I presume these are the keys above that area.

The laptop runs perfect, it's completely stable SO I'm not too concerned that anything else has became damaged. It's just unusable to an extent that it's incredibly loud and annoying (and that I don't want to cause more damage).

I've also had it for 2 years. So it's warranty is well out of date. SO I'll have to replace this myself. 

No Events found!