XPS

Last reply by 09-16-2020 Unsolved
Start a Discussion
2 Jasper
2 Jasper

XPS 17 9700 Blue screen while sleeping: Thunderbolt(TM) Bus Driver to blame

I previously posted about a power management issue resulting in blue screens while my XPS 17 9700 was sleeping. The workaround for that appears to have worked.

However in the last couple of days I've had at least 2 new blue screen errors while the laptop was in sleep mode. This time the error is more emphatically a Thunderbolt Bus Driver error

Thunderbolt bluescreen.png

I've had 2 such events in the last 2 days. I've run Support Assistant to check there isn't an update to install or a hardware error detected (none on either count)

Investigation of the error codes shown above explanation is given here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/debugger/bug-check-0x7e--system-thread-exc...

The error is due to a SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED and the first parameter 0xC0000005: STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION indicates a memory access violation occurred.

So I'll do as before and post updates if I figure this issue out. 

NOTE: Dell are replacing the motherboard in my laptop in the next week or so. My laptop is one which the battery discharges while while plugged in to the charger when running . Motherboard spares will be in stock in the UK on the 26th August so perhaps this will resolve this issue.  

Replies (3)

Thank you! We have received the required details. We will work towards a resolution via private messages to ensure the security of your information. In the meanwhile, you may receive assistance or suggestions from the community members as well.

#IWork4Dell
Find your Service Tag

If still under warranty, click the "Get help now" icon on the right to start a live chat session. To send us a private message, click our DELL-Cares username. Our Forum profile page will then appear. On the right, click "Send this user a private message".

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Hi Steven,

What was the final resolution for this? Was it that Dell replaced the motherboard?  I am now encountering the same problem. 

Mike

@MSS88, Mike - I haven't had a recurrence of the issue since the motherboard was replaced. I have had one bluescreen since then due to a kernel crash ks.sys but didn't have time to analyze.

Issues following motherboard replacement: all of the dell apps were lost from the MS store and so presumably would not have received updates through that channel. So, I chose to reinstall everything from recovery. I discovered that the motherboard replacement also trashes the onboard recovery tools - BIOS Connect and SupportAssist OS Recovery - it can no longer connect to the NICs from the onboard BIOS and the onboard recovery just crashes out and reboots the laptop.

Dell sent me a USB with the recovery tool on it and say they can't fix the recovery options but honestly my time is too valuable to pursue it. I'll just live with USB recovery instead.

Latest Solutions
Top Contributor