Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 18th, 2019 14:00

XPS 2-in-1 7390 Fingerprint Reader

Hi, I just got a Dell XPS 2-in-1 7390, which is great except that the fingerprint reader doesn't work consistently, to say the least.

I read online that there were problems with it, but that they should (mostly?) be resolved by the latest driver. I've checked and I do seem to have the latest driver (v3.0.35.516), but it only recognizes my fingerprint maybe one out of ten times (the lighting in the room seems to be important, I think it's a bit better than that in a really bright room). Is that normal even with the "fixed" driver, or might my fingerprint reader be defective? What has other people's experience been?

7 Technologist

• 

12K Posts

December 18th, 2019 15:00

All the reports online seem to confirm the problems but the driver you have has also cured the problem for almost all the users experiencing problems. That being said and since your system is new, I would suggest calling Dell tech support as it is more than possible you have a defective sensor.

2 Posts

December 23rd, 2019 17:00

It's strange, but I think the problem was actually my finger(!). The skin on that hand was really dry, which seems to be problematic for reading the fingerprint - I tried again with fingers on the other hand, and that seems to work okay. I guess I need to get some hand lotion for that!

7 Technologist

• 

12K Posts

December 23rd, 2019 17:00

That certainly makes sense and would have been the last thing on my mind. Whatever work or environment you are in, you have my respect. That is one solution I am keeping on file and thanks!

No Events found!