Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 15th, 2021 14:00

XPS 9300 FHD battery drain fast

XPS 9300 FHD with less than 10 battery charging cycles, brightness set to 40% and battery saver activated, cannot exceed 6 hours of use in the browser. What happens ? I have all the updates up to date, including for the bios. Is it a battery hardware issue? Can I do something about it? A review of 9-12 hours is specified on the reviews on various sites.

1 Rookie

• 

81 Posts

April 15th, 2021 20:00

That's actually not too bad: consider yourself lucky. The forum is full of people complaining of getting 3-4 hours max. 9-12 hours are only possible if you set the monitor to min brightness, disable bluetooth, wifi, have no usb devices connected, and don't do anything at all on your laptop. Heck, the forum is full of people complaining that their laptops discharge faster than that when they are turned off!

Jokes aside, that time is pretty much not physically possible. The battery is 52Wh at best (most of them will be around 40-45Wh after just a couple months of use). Even with moderate load, screen around 40% brightness and active wifi/peripherals, it's going to consume around 7-8W of power. So 5-6 hours of use is perfectly normal. If yuo're running anything processor intensive, the power usage can get up to 15W -- do the math...

7 Posts

April 16th, 2021 08:00

I checked with battery care software and the battery has only a capacity of 45Wh. So in half a year from manufacturing it lost about 10Wh (I have less than 15 charging cycles). So, considering that I still have a warranty, I will request a change.

The question is, in hours of use with use only in the browser, what would be equivalent to 10Wh?

Can't I somehow reduce the consumption to be below 8W?

No Events found!