Start a Conversation

Unsolved

O

3 Posts

March 10th, 2019 10:00

XPS 13 9365, BIOS 2.4.1 Boot Issues

I typically run updates pretty frequently, but didn't install BIOS 2.4.1 for the XPS 9365 (along with other updates) until just recently. Soon after, I noticed that there were boot issues where the Dell logo would appear, but Windows 10 would never start loading. I would then have to hold the power button down long enough to shut down, then power it back on and it would boot.

This morning, I installed the previous BIOS version 2.3.1 and so far, it seems like the boot issue is gone.

So, I think there might be an issue with the 2.4.1 BIOS release.

3 Posts

March 10th, 2019 13:00

Well, just had another boot issue, while on BIOS 2.3.1. So, either some component didn't downgrade, or it is not caused by the BIOS.

Hmmm...

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

March 10th, 2019 19:00

All I can say is I have been using that Bios for a couple of months and have seen no problems.

4 Operator

• 

9.4K Posts

March 25th, 2019 10:00

Hi ObliteRon,

Thanks for posting.  Apologies that your system is not performing as expected.

I'm interested to know from which BIOS you initially attempted BIOS update. Also, was it by Dell Update or Windows Update?

Please respond back.  Thanks.

5 Posts

March 28th, 2019 06:00

Hi all - am also having the same issue

Running an XPS 13 9365 (2in1) with BIOS Version/Date Dell Inc. 2.4.1, 13-Dec-18. The warranty expired on August 10, 2018.

Everytime I cold boot, the Dell logo appears - but Windows 10 never starts loading (no rotating dots/circle below the logo). I then hold the power button down long enough to shut down, and then power back on and it would boot fine. Whilst booted I can restart multiple times without issue, but as soon as I shutdown - I need 2 boots (as described above) to start working.

All help / advise appreciated

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

March 28th, 2019 08:00

@DrakeyOz 

How are you shutting down, with the start menu power buttons?  I assume you have the power button set to shut the system down?

How long do you wait before you hit the power button during the first boot?

Does the system behave normally in the Modern Standby configuration?

Can we assume the system worked normally prior to this Bios upgrade?  My system never had one of the earlier updates so even that might have an effect on what we see.

March 28th, 2019 21:00

Hi, just wanted to let you know that I have the exact same issue with XPS 9365 and Bios 2.4.1.  After the firmware update, my boot (POST) has become very slow (2 mins before BitLocker shows up) and then usually windows fails to load and I need to power off and retry.  The 2nd time always seems to work.   It will also not come out of a sleep or hibernate... I always need to reboot.  

I thought that it may be due to my peripherals (Dell Hub, etc.) but I've tried unplugging everything and reboot multiple times, and still have the same problem.

How do we escalate this to Dell for further support?  It's obviously not an isolated occurrence.

5 Posts

March 29th, 2019 04:00

@BMorgenthstein

Thanks for your post and you are experiencing exactly the same issue - although I do not wait the 2 minutes that you tolerate :)

As I am out of support with Dell - can someone advise us (and I'm sure there are many more users experiencing this) - how we can get this resolved.

Thanks in advance Dell community

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

April 2nd, 2019 08:00

Thank you for your message. What is the status of the power button light when the computer attempts to boot? Is the power button light blinking or steady?

What is the error message you get when the system fails to load? Does it load to a blank screen?

Please try setting BIOS to defaults & then try to boot again.

If the issue persists, I can have this escalated to the product team.

For my reference, please click on the message tab next to your avatar– click “New Message” & search for my Dell username (Sreejith R) & send a private message with the service tag, registered name & email address.

How to locate the service tag

3 Posts

April 11th, 2019 07:00

I have the exact same issue. after restarting it appears to try for about a minute and then powers off totally. 
And I need to hit the power button to start up, with no change. 

1 Message

May 6th, 2019 13:00

Experiencing the same issue.  The power light is on, the Dell logo stays on the screen until I power off.  Turning the computer back on after the shutdown allows Windows 10 to start.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

May 6th, 2019 14:00

It might be important to verify the problems happens when performing one type of boot process.  If it is a cold boot, from a powered down condition, try turning off Fast Startup.  There may be something wrong with the writing of the hibernation file.

If it happens during a warm boot, reboot, it may be some errant driver is being reused instead of load a clean version since the memory is not completely wiped during a warm boot.

If it happens coming out of sleep, there may be a device problem and failing or trying to load a bad driver.

Are all of these systems the 8th generation processor?

2 Posts

May 31st, 2019 12:00

Having the same issue with BIOS 2.6.2 (April 30 2019) from cold boot. Have not tried from any other state as I usually shut my laptop completely down after use. First boot always gets "hung" on the Dell logo with no spinning Windows dot circle. A hard power reset must be performed for it to boot properly.

4 Operator

• 

9.4K Posts

June 3rd, 2019 05:00

Hi SK89,

Thanks for posting.  Apologies that your system is not performing as expected.

Here is information from the Dell knowledge base you may find helpful:  How to Fix a Boot Up Problem

Dell PC does not turn on or boot into Windows

If you still require assistance and the system is under warranty, you may contact me privately. Be sure to include your personal information (name, address, telephone, email) and your computer's service tag number in your message. Thanks.

If there is no warranty, then you could contact our Out of Warranty team to get a quote for a paid service request. 

5 Posts

June 3rd, 2019 07:00

When it tries to boot for the 1st time - the power light (on the power-on button located on the right hand side of the laptop) remains steady. I wait about 20 secs and all I see is the Dell logo but no "circulating" icon - before I have to hard boot.

All help much appreciated  

2 Intern

• 

385 Posts

June 3rd, 2019 17:00

Also, 2.4.1 is not the latest bios. The newest bios with a lot of fixes is 2.6.2. You can try that: https://www.dell.com/support/home/no/no/nodhs1/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=49crh&oscode=wt64a&productcode=xps-13-9365-2-in-1-laptop

No Events found!