Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

January 31st, 2018 22:00

XPS 9370 Fan Noise

When sitting idle (not seeing any heavy usage for anything in task manager over 10% anyway), how loud should these fans be? If I'm sitting here not even using it with the power adapter plugged in it seriously sounds like the fans are at full blast sometimes.. Seems like when I unplug the charger it slows down after a few seconds then eventually they turn off. Is this normal? It is kind of annoying for $1700 laptop to make so much noise just sitting idle, but if theres nothing to do about it, it is what it is. Thanks

3 Posts

March 21st, 2018 02:00

I've had my 9370 for a few weeks now, and have experienced the same annoying fan noise as the rest.

In Windows 10, I had noticed the fan would run specifically when the WMI process (Windows 10 machine) would utilize a high percentage of the CPU. I browsed the event log for WMI and found the Dell Support Assist software to be the culprit. I uninstalled every Dell related software component, and that fixed the unnecessary CPU draw (and seemingly unnecessary fan noise). 

I can still turn the fan on by running CPU intensive apps, but it doesn't just run for the **bleep** of it anymore. Not perfect by any means, but it's  a start.

March 22nd, 2018 06:00

On the advice of TheCap 10, I stopped the Dell update service from running (runs in the Background), and what a difference.  The fan is still there and pretty much seems to run all the time but it is super quiet.  Pops up sometimes but that's to be expected.  Now, if this will fix my "laptop won't go to sleep issue" I'll be set!

March 22nd, 2018 17:00

**bleep**, I've only had my XPS 13 for maybe an hour or so and the loud fan noise while plugged in is annoying.

1 Message

March 22nd, 2018 17:00

For those whose fans not only seem to go to 100% quickly, but also sound as if the fan blades are hitting a wire or something similar, I recommend exchanging your machine for another XPS 9370 of the same specs ASAP. Software "workarounds" are not the solution because the problem is hardware related. 

My first 9370 had the issues some others described with the fans sounding like they were hitting something or were broken, somehow. So after taking the advice of others and updating Bios, as well as enabling quiet mode, my issue of obnoxious fans remained. I decided I was going to return the machine to my local Microsoft store, where I had purchased it the day prior. However, before doing that I decided to run the risk of voiding the warranty and opted to open the bottom of the laptop up and see if there was an easy solution, such as taping down a rogue wire that was hitting the fan blades. 

However, after opening it up and inspecting the fans and surrounding area, I was unable to find anything that would be interfering with them. I used some compressed air to blow on the fan blades to get them up to speed. This allowed me to pinpoint the noisy fan. After touching the fan blades with a screw driver I discovered that the one fan had loose blades that was causing the rattle noise and there is really no way to fix it. After discovering this, I put it back together and drove back up to the Microsoft store, where I swapped it out for another 9370 of the same specs. 

It's now been 2 weeks with the replacement machine and the fans are perfectly quiet, even after putting the laptop through its paces. So my advice is to exchange the laptop if you are still within your return period. But if you aren't able to do that the solution is really just replacement fans (2 fans built into one housing). Unfortunately, the 9370 is too new and I haven't been able to track down OEM replacement fans for it yet. But they will be available soon, I'm sure. And remember, you can't just buy fans for the old XPS 13" (9350/9360) because the previous models only came with a single fan. Meanwhile, the 9370 has 2. 

Here is a picture I took of the inside of the 9370, for reference:
https://flic.kr/p/25pCQU8

And here is a picture of the inside of the 9360, for additional reference:
https://flic.kr/p/25kW7BS

11 Posts

March 23rd, 2018 00:00

I have exactly same issue with mine too!!!

March 26th, 2018 13:00

Hi hndrk13. I'm on the XPS product team. Could you reach out to me at luke_presley@dell.com?

Hi maxadelics. I'm on the XPS product team. Could you reach out to me at luke_presley@dell.com and provide some more details?

Hi AMRib. I'm on the XPS product team. Could you reach out to me at luke_presley@dell.com? Would like to talk about this more.

1 Message

March 27th, 2018 03:00

I bought an XPS13 9370 running Win10 a month (?) ago, and had the same issues.  Running a virus scan as a performance test removing the GPU, the fan would spin up to maximum, and a temperature monitor was showing that the core was going to 90-100 degrees c almost immediately.

Support had the fan replaced, which didn't help, and then recommended installing the power monitor and running in quiet mode, which actually does help a bit - the machine when idle or running a general background task now seems to stay within the range of no-fan to very slight fan usage.

However, when I start actually using the machine for more than just background tasks the fan still quite often spins up for 30-60s at a time to mid level (which is still pretty noisy), even though a hw monitor is showing cpu temperatures in the 60s.

Anyone got any suggestions on any ways to mitigate this?

March 27th, 2018 05:00

Having the same issue with just unpacked and updated Dell XPS 13. Actually this drives me crazy. Even setting a quiet mode in Dell Power manager never makes it silent. It always makes a noise like medium-load task is running. @DELL-Luiel L Can you or someone else from Dell give an official feedback on this an ETA to resolve? 

March 29th, 2018 04:00

Not sure if my last message went through, so I'll reply again.

I have the same problem with my just unpacked XPS too. It seemed to be resolved after I updated all drivers and BIOS. Hope it lasts and hope this might help others facing the same problem.

Here's where I found the latest updates:
http://www.dell.com/support/home/tw/en/twdhs1/product-support/servicetag/ /drivers

March 29th, 2018 12:00

Did not help. All the updates were installed right after upacking

March 30th, 2018 07:00

I had this problem on my brand new Inspiron 5570 (fan running at maximum) anytime CPU usage was over about 30%. Tried all of Dell's suggestions to no avail. Came across a tip on limiting CPU temperature by disabling Intel TurboBoost. This seems to have done the trick. There are several ways to do this per below link. The BIOS route was available and worked for me. Hope this helps, as Dell seems less than helpful on this front.

http://www.geeks3d.com/20170213/how-to-disable-intel-turbo-boost-technology-on-a-notebook/

March 30th, 2018 11:00

Hi,

Thanks for suggestions. I really appreciate that and I will try it.

Frustrating fact is that this laptop costs $2000+ and I have to spend my time on this forum looking for a tricks, not being sure that this might help. 

@Anonymous, what about official solution for this? 

2 Posts

April 4th, 2018 16:00

I received my XPS today. It's replacing an Inspiron--with a loud fan issue--that was stolen. Despite the loss I was looking forward to the upgraded specs. However, I've sat here for about an hour and the thing hasn't shut up! 

I let it update and it started rattling and heaving like an old lawnmower. 

It's going back and I'm getting another Mac or I'm moving to HP.

Bye Dell

No Events found!