Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 23rd, 2022 15:00

XPS 9500 connected to External Monitor

Hello, I have a 2020 XPS 15 9500 with a 4K display and am connecting to a Samsung M7 external 32" 4k monitor via the USBC port on the monitor.  Everything looks and works great in 4K when using regular Office programs.  No problems at all.

However, I use my laptop for Day Trading and when I connect to the stock market live data feed, the external monitor gets a little laggy and the response time of my mouse slows down.  When I lower the resolution to 1920x1080, it works great with no lag but the picture is too fuzzy at that res and I would like to keep it at 4k.  1080 was the first resolution that had no lag.

Is it possible it could be because the 9500 only outputs using its Intel CPU and not the Nvidia GPU?  That would require me to get a new laptop, certainly something I am trying to avoid.  Or maybe using a different monitor with a display port as opposed to a USBC port be better?   I am trying to figure out if this is because my laptop can't handle the external monitor or maybe it's the ports/cables/internet bandwidth.

As I said, the only time I have an issue is when I am connected to the stock market, other than that, it works great.  Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

My XPS 15 9500 has 16GB, i7-10875H CPU @ 2.30GHz and an Nvidia GTX 1650 TI

-Maria

5 Posts

September 30th, 2022 07:00

Hey fellas, thanks for the help.  I found a solution.  I needed to swap the main displays, so now the laptop is the "extended display".  That solved the problem using the USBC cable.  That does not work with the HDMI cable though.  I now got 4k@60hz.  I appreciate everyone who took a minute to answer my post.  All the best to you all- 

457 Posts

September 23rd, 2022 19:00

Are all of your drivers up to date? Especially for graphics this could cause issues. However, with the specs you've given on the system, I'd think it could handle the setup you're describing. You should also check what the internal monitor and external monitor are being driven by (is one on the iGPU and the other on the nvidia or both on one etc?)

7 Technologist

• 

12K Posts

September 23rd, 2022 20:00

In addition to what @d5123101 has suggested the fact that the system works great except when connected to the stock market leads me to believe it could very well be a bandwidth issue. Just wondering if you know what the speed is on your Internet connection ? The minimum required speed for 4K is 50MB/s.

5 Posts

September 24th, 2022 09:00

Both are using the internal CPU.  Based on some information I have found, it looks like the external can't be driven by the Nvidia because the ports on the 9500 won't allow it.   

5 Posts

September 24th, 2022 10:00

I did several speed tests and average 138.86Mbps download and 148.29 upload. So, that should be good.

Also, I just watched some 4k youtube videos and there is some slight stuttering as the picture pans on the external monitor.  However, this also happens on the laptop screen but a bit less and not as noticeable.  Not sure what that means-

457 Posts

September 29th, 2022 23:00

Sorry I did not see your reply. Let us just say it is true that the external monitor cannot be driven my the nvidia. Can the internal monitor be driven by the nvidia (that way you have the external on the Intel and internal on nvidia)?

2 Posts

April 30th, 2023 04:00

I had similar symptoms with a different solution. I will leave this here just in case it is useful for others.

• Model:XPS 15 9500 (2020 model)
  • Problem:connecting an external display to the right USB-C port creates wifi issues (unstable connection on 2.4 GHz channel, max 20 mbps)
  • Solution:move display cable to left port, leave right port for charger.

Inspired by this thread, where it is suggested that there might be an interference between usb and wifi. Maybe antenna/chip is on the right side in this model.

No Events found!