Start a Conversation

Unsolved

A

6 Posts

June 3rd, 2020 08:00

XPS 9500 - not working with eGPU

I was using the XPS 9750 for the last 1.5 years and a few months ago I added an eGPU (Razer Core X + AMD RX 5700 XT) and it is a pleasure using it. 

Now I upgraded to the XPS 9500 and unfortunately, it isn't working at all with the eGPU. Today I talked 3 hours to the technical support and they were checking my old and my new laptop both using the eGPU and the result was that the 9500 isn't compatible with eGPUs. I receive error 12 (too few resources) or error 43 (an error prevents graphics card from working). It sounds really weird to me, that the latest top product is worse than an older version. I would like to keep the 9500 as I invested in Dell with a Dell dock and in general, I like the product. But it's a no-go that newer products get worse and support less than their pre-generation. Additionally, the CPU is going crazy running on 100% even though no program is running.

What can I do? Is there a chance of fixing this by a bios update or something similar?

• 

25.1K Posts

June 3rd, 2020 08:00

Thank you! We have received the required details. We will work towards a resolution via private messages to ensure the security of your information. In the meanwhile, you may receive assistance or suggestions from the community members as well.

6 Posts

June 8th, 2020 00:00

Thanks for your reply, but it seems to be a specific issue with the new Dell XPS 9500, as I use this combination with the 9750 and it works fine. So the only company that should help me, is Dell. As the graphics card works as expected. Otherwise who should help me solving this issue? Otherwise the only option I have, is returning the new Dell and go with another brand. 

• 

25.1K Posts

Hello. Dell scope of support is limited to Dell hardware and external GPUs or graphics amplifiers are not tested with the system and you may encounter compatibility issue. ^MP

6 Posts

any news? Haven't received a private message with help.

• 

25.1K Posts

June 8th, 2020 01:00

I understand your predicament. However, Dell has not tested XPS 9500 and that is a possibility of you experiencing a compatibility issue. We apologize for the inconvenience caused. ^MP

6 Posts

June 8th, 2020 01:00

What does this mean -> Dell has not tested XPS 9500? This product is released without proper testing?

Still my question remaining: What can I do to get help? Either for you to know what to fix at the latest model or for me to know what to do to make it work?

• 

25.1K Posts

June 8th, 2020 02:00

Sorry about the confusion. XPS 9500 is not tested with external GPUs or graphics amplifiers. Hence our scope of support will be limited. Any issue that you are facing with the system hardware failure, we are here to assist you based on the warranty terms. ^MP

1 Message

August 8th, 2020 17:00

Hi,

I just tried to hook up my new 9500 to the razer core x with the 5700xt with the same issues.  Have you found a fix?

August 15th, 2020 13:00

I'm having this same issue with the Razer Core X Chroma + AMD Radeon RX Vega 64 with my XPS 15 9500.

I've never had these issues with other notebooks, and this seems to only be an issue with the XPS 15 9500 and an AMD GPU.  Hopefully there is a resolution soon.

August 15th, 2020 15:00

Just chiming in here, I haven't received mine but Dell seems to have a QA problem on their hands. I'm sick of 'cost engineered' products and this seems like one. Anyways, have you guys made sure its on the left side ports? Apparently the right side ports aren't thunderbolt (only USB 3.2).

August 17th, 2020 07:00

Yep, this was attempted on both thunderbolt ports on the left side.

Things I've tried:

• Multiple eGPU enclosures, Akitio Node, Razer Core 2, Razer Core X Chroma
  • Disabling the internal nvidia GPU
  • Attempting to user internal or external display
  • Multiple bios/security/thunderbolt 3 settings

Every time I try to Approve the eGPU in the thunderbolt software, it actually freezes the software and can't approve it.  This disconnects the device and will require a full reboot to work again.

1 Message

August 18th, 2020 15:00

I've a similar setup. I've been trying to work through the issues with AMD tech support but with no success and Windows doesn't provide any feedback. 

2 Posts

August 22nd, 2020 07:00

Hi 

I think I found the solution. Have you tried updating to the latest Windows 10 "BUILD" in May 2020 using the Microsoft Update Assistant in: https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10 

2 Posts

August 22nd, 2020 07:00

Hi I have the exact same setup and was able to find a solution. After using DDU cleaner and AMD Cleaner, you will need to update the Windows 10 "BUILD" to the latest in May 2020. In the old Build it seems to have an issue with he Driver for the Thunderbolt/PCI in some sort of conflict in resources, resultig in the Windows 207 error Update Windows 10 by using the online "UPDATE ASSISTANT" from https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10 It will tell you if you have the latest Windows 10 Build installed. The preinstalled Dell and Windows Update applications seems to only updates the Drivers and Applications but not the "BUILD" version. This solutions worked for the following setup my Dell XPS 9500 with the AMD 5700 XT and Razer Core eGPU. Before this I will always get the dreaded error 12, 207 and AMD Driver not found issue that everyone seems to be getting. Hope this helps!

1 Message

October 24th, 2020 03:00

Hi @micdul ,

I just want to sign in to say a massive BIG THANK YOU!! for suggesting the Windows Update Advisor. After spending days rebuilding my PC, updated BIOS, downloaded the latest drivers, nothing worked and still had the Code 12 error with my 5700XT card, after running the Windows Update Advisor tool and performed the update, the error has gone and now my system is now working.

Note that I am using a Ryzen ITX mobo with HP Omen Accelerator eGPU via Thunberbolt, so this suggestion of yours is not unique to Dell.

Once again, many thanks!!

No Events found!