Start a Conversation

Unsolved

H

1 Rookie

• 

60 Posts

November 8th, 2022 08:00

XPS 9500 reboot constantly and not charging

My XPS 9500 rebooted self constantly and it would not be charged after the reboot.  So, I had to jump into the BIOS setting and loaded into the BIOS default.

After that, booted back to Windows 10 and it could start charging self.

I had run through SupportAssist to scan hardware and no issue was found.  Reloaded the urgent drivers from Dell driver download site included refreshed BIOS to the update version.

What else I can do to prevent it to be happened?

Any suggestion?  Thanks.

1 Rookie

• 

60 Posts

February 2nd, 2023 05:00

How about the AC charging, especially from the cold startup? 

1 Rookie

• 

60 Posts

February 2nd, 2023 06:00

Thanks for info.  I see "ASF2 reboot" in the BIOS log. 

Before I sent my original XPS motherboard back to the dell repair center, I did down grade my BIOS from 1.19 to 1.18 and 1.17 and it did not help (I informed Dell tech support about it).

1 Rookie

• 

60 Posts

February 3rd, 2023 08:00

I tried your suggestion this morning to my 9500 boot up.

There were I observed:

1. The Dell log showed few times on and off

2. Booted up into WIndows login screen if I did not select "shutdown" immediately,  the WIndows still rebooted  would end up the bluescreen with the OS recovery.

3. If I clicked "shutdown" immediately when I saw Windows logon, it would go down with hardware off completely.  Then, powered on, and I was able to get the AC charging.

February 5th, 2023 13:00

I have the same problem. Computer seems to work fine, then randomly reboots several times, sometimes I get a blue windows recovery screen. During the reboots, I sometimes get to the windows login only to have it reboot again. During all of this, it will not recognize any charging cable. After it finally stays on, I shut it down, then hard restart (holding power key).  It eventually seems to recognize the charger and operate normally, until the next time.

I'm curious about specs people have and if there are common things:

- XPS 15 9500

- Windows 10

- NVIDA GForce 67X 1650 graphics

- 6 cell battery

- 2 TB hard drive, 32 gb ram

- Intel I7 10th generation processor

I can't keep working like this!

5 Posts

February 5th, 2023 13:00

- XPS 15 9500

- Windows 11/Linux OS does not matter I use both and it happens on both of them

- Nvidia 1650

- do not actually know which battery it is

- 1tb ssd drive, 32 gb ram

- i7-10750

I think it is somehow related purely to power subsystem, for me it only happens right after waking laptop from sleep. Plus my battery in a pretty bad shape already, which is ridiculous, given that my laptop is only two years old, though reboot happens even if power supply is connected.

1 Rookie

• 

60 Posts

February 5th, 2023 17:00

I have looked at YouTube about how to boot the system boot up not from the saved process states because WIndows 10+ default the the fast startup.

I do shutdown my XPS 9550 every night, and I do want to shudtwon completely and boot up from the initial state (not from the saved state).

Let me try it and see what happens.

1 Rookie

• 

60 Posts

February 20th, 2023 16:00

With the disabled the default fast startup option, my XPS 9500 had less chances to reboot self.  Still rebooted sometimes and "View reliability history" could not identify what Wndows errors were.

The BIOS update has been kicked by SupportAssist to update my BIOS from 1.19.0 to 1.20.0 and the self reboot even worse.

Downgrade back to 1.19.0 for now.

1 Rookie

• 

2 Posts

November 24th, 2023 23:56

Anyone found a solution for this piece of junk of a 3k EUR laptop?

(edited)

November 26th, 2023 08:13

@gpm74​ I have the exact same problem. Keeps restarting, not recognizing the charger, and then suddenly starts charging again. Happens more and more increasingly. Impossible to work like this. If anyone has found a solution, please share :)

1 Rookie

• 

2 Posts

November 26th, 2023 21:59

@viktorlofgren​ The only solution that I read everywhere online is to buy another laptop and forget about this junk Dell company, it's not worth a dime of anyone's money

1 Message

January 17th, 2024 12:25

@viktorlofgren​ 
I don't know how long-term the solution is, but I have found that the sleep function is causing the reboot cycle on my XPS 15 9500 10th gen core I7.

I don't allow it to sleep anymore. I turn off each night. I also keep it on a cooling tray to reduce excess heat. So far I have reduced the crash reboots to 1 in the last few weeks.

I teach English online using Zoom / ClassIn, web browser, Adobe PDF viewer (or Foxit), MS powerpoint and various messaging platforms for up to 8 hours per day and need a reliable computer.

Until last month, my XPS 15 9500 was fantastic. It was much more than I needed. But the additional cost of upgrading from my 2013 Dell Inspiron 15R 5521 was lost when it started crash rebooting and interrupted charging until turning off and unplugging to discharge power supply. I actually had to pull out my old Inspiron and had to use it regularly until I figured out how to limp along with the XPS. I've been faithful to Dell for my last 3 laptops, but quality has dropped. It seems this is a known failure caused by poor quality build leading to catastrophic failure.

Interesting that my much cheaper Inspiron had better build quality and parts than my XPS and will likely outlive it. Sad.

1 Rookie

• 

2 Posts

March 22nd, 2024 17:59

Hi, 

After changing my battery, (Buyed with the official dell website), I encountered the exact same problem. I tried to switch back to the old battery, the probleme have disaperred for 2 days but it came back the exact way :

• Reboot on boot up escecally when cold or long sleep
  • Wont recognize charger when pluged
  • Have to switch off computer, plug then reboot.

I even buyed a brand new Ac charger from dell official website (another 100€) and it won't charge up

The usb-c works perfectly fine

This thread  https://www.dell.com/community/en/conversations/xps/xps-15-9500-charging-needs-to-be-reset-almost-daily/647fa044f4ccf8a8de542045 have this exact same problem !! and replacing the motherboard won't change anything !

Please dell, if there is a known issue, tell us

1 Rookie

• 

2 Posts

April 3rd, 2024 15:35

I had this issue happened in 2022, dell said it was the motherboard and replaced, fast forward today, same issue has happened again and dell want to charge me for same issue caused by its bios. This is not good

1 Rookie

• 

1 Message

April 8th, 2024 02:51

Same issue here as well in April 2024. Disappointing that there doesn't seem to be a real fix for this. Not very encouraging to see this same problem persisting for two years without a resolution from Dell.

1 Rookie

• 

3 Posts

May 9th, 2024 21:26

I have this problem with a XPS 15 9500. I found that holding the power button until forced shutdown help regain the capability to charge the battery, but not always.

My warranty has expired over little more than um mouth. I'm trying to contact DELL for a warranty extension (according to the DELL support line, it is possible) but no answer from DELL to the many times I submitted the form provided at: https://www.dell.com/support/incidents-online/en-us/email/extend-warranty?ref=cpcl_us-en-bsd-fcca82af-9bb0-4ca0-a440-2bbb2a2cf418-software-support-promo-imgright-item_cta_link_contactadellrepresentativetobuy

This is destroying, for me at least, the DELL brand, and confidence gained over the years.
It's just BAD!

No Events found!