Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

Closed

2 Posts

September 2nd, 2021 10:00

XPS 9510 slow charger detected

I have about a month old XPS 9510 that now says slow charger detected whenever using the Dell USB-c charger that came with it. I get a BIOS message on startup as well that the charger is insufficient size. Started about a week ago.

This happens on all 3 USB-c ports and on BIOS v1.4 and v1.3.2. Tried all combination of unplugging and leaving unplugged for hours and no change.

In the BIOS in reports the AC adapter as 5 watts when plugged in.

Anyone else experience this? I guess the power adapter is just fried somehow?

November 16th, 2021 15:00

Can you tell me if this repair is still working for you?  Just bought this same machine and it's having an identical issue. Sorry I updated the BIOS late last night, and then went to work all day today away from my computer. As of now the charge is reading at 130W again.  Thank you.

Community Manager

• 

2.1K Posts

July 15th, 2022 14:00

Hi all, If you are having issues with XPS 9510 slow charger detected, please follow the steps below:

1. Ensure the System BIOS and Chipset is up to date.
  2. Enable or select the “Expresscharge” Setting, follow this link for information on How to enable Expresscharge?

If you still need assistance, please contact support by clicking the ‘Get Help Now’ button located at the bottom right corner of the page. The button is marked with a help icon for easy recognition as per the picture below:  

(edited)

• 

25.1K Posts

September 2nd, 2021 10:00

Thank you! We have received the required details. We will work towards a resolution. In the meantime, you may also receive assistance or suggestions from the community members.

1 Message

September 4th, 2021 09:00

This same exact thing just happened to me this morning too - everything was fine until my laptop stopped charging at its regular charging rate. Also owning an XPS 9510, with the default AC adapter, and now charging at 5W instead of the 130W. My laptop is slowly dying and I NEED this for school!!!

5 Practitioner

• 

2.4K Posts

September 8th, 2021 07:00

Motherboard or firmware is failing to detect correct AC adapter wattage. Machine ships with a 90w (onboard graphics) 130w(nvidia graphics) 

Please check the status of adapter in BIOS (F2) > Overview > AC adapter

If its showing NONE, Wrong wattage, Not installed. 

1 Update BIOS 

2. RTC RESET - Hold the power button down for 30 seconds with AC adapter disconnected and keep holding it even after power off. 

3. Try a different adapter - If an alter Dell adapter is available, you can easily identify if that's the root cause and ask for a new motherboard from Dell. 

4. BIOS Recovery : 

If none of the above fix the issue, please contact Dell for a repair service, XPS 9510 is new release and all of you should be under warranty 

2 Posts

September 8th, 2021 07:00

I have found if you shut it down and leave it plugged in it will very slowly charge it back up, but takes at least over night to get to 100%.

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

October 7th, 2021 09:00

ezkim1212,

The last message from you to our DELL-Cares agents was on September 28. Send them a message stating if the ePSA diagnostics passed or failed.

4 Posts

November 14th, 2021 09:00

Yes same issue with XPS 9510 slow charger detected. It is currently 2 days old. Using the charging adapter that was shipped with it. Very frustrating.

4 Posts

November 14th, 2021 09:00

Update. I happen to have two identical XPS 9510's. I took the power supply from the known "good"unit and swapped it with the unit giving the "Slow charger detected" error. The "bad" unit is still giving the error and the "good" unit is charging fine with the power supply from the "bad" unit.

Conclusion is that the problem is not with the power supply. I will look into a bios update next.

4 Posts

November 14th, 2021 10:00

Update. Both units are using BIOS ver 1.5.1.

4 Posts

November 14th, 2021 12:00

XPS 9510 is now currently charging properly at 130W. Here is what I did.

Go to add/remove programs>Dell Power Manager>Click the 3 dots to the right>Advanced Options>Scroll down to "RESET", choose "REPAIR", once that is done choose "RESET". Done.

I then restarted into the BIOS by hitting F12 during restart. There you can see the charging watts. Should be 130W.

As of right now this seems to be the fix for my XPS 9510

1 Message

November 29th, 2021 11:00

This worked for me! I just held the button pressed in for like a minute (with the AC adapter disconnected). Then, it worked when I plugged the AC adapter back in.

No Events found!