Start a Conversation

Unsolved

J

1 Message

June 9th, 2020 19:00

XPS 9560 massive throttling issues on windows

Over the past few months I've been experiencing significant throttling despite maintaining fairly reasonable temperatures (< 80c on both CPU and GPU).

All drivers are up to date. There does not need to be any processes running for it to start throttling.

There is no hardware damage as indicated by completely acceptable performance on Linux. This is exclusively a driver issue.

I've undervolted my CPU by 100mV using throttlingstop, but this hasn't changed anything. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

13 Posts

June 10th, 2020 04:00

What battery percentage did you have when you experienced throttling and were you charging at the same time? Does it go to cpu multiplier 1 (which means a clock of either 0.4 GHz or 0.8 GHz)?

I have the same issues on my xps 15 7590 when charging while the battery is not at 100%. However, if I unplug my charger I am able to regain base clock and boost shortly after. 

The solution is (until Dell releases a bios fix) keep your laptop at 100% at all times when charging (as when charging at 100% the cpu power draw is divided between battery and charger thus making it run at base clock and boost). Or unplug your charger when using your laptop at a power state less than 100%.

• 

25.1K Posts

June 22nd, 2020 23:00

Hello. We have not heard back from you yet. Do reach out to us for further assistance, until then we shall be temporarily archiving the message at our end. ^MP

1 Message

July 14th, 2020 16:00

I have the same problem for a while now, mainly power limit throttling. The purchased warranty expired on April 21, 2018. But lately I cannot perform even the basic tasks and it is really frustrating. I have all my drivers and Bios up to date.

I have been a Dell customer since a long time ago with multiple laptops and desktops. I bought the XPS 9560 (i77700HG, 16 ram, nvidia y SSD) as a power horse (to process medical images) and it is becoming completely useless and I am extremely disappointed. 

Please Dell team find a solution and if there is none please let us know.

Thx.

No Events found!