Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 30th, 2018 06:00

XPS 9570 Unrecoverable freezing

I recently got a XPS 9570 and after setting it up and connecting it to a DELL D3000 dock to extend the screen to two additional monitors. However, I have noticed that the computer randomly freezes and accepts no further input, ctrl+alt+del does nothing. The only way to recover is to do a hard reset by holding down the power button for 15 seconds.

Looking at the reliability monitor provides no useful info as it just says that "Windows was not shut down properly".

I spent several hours on the phone with Dell Support and they had me do the following:

- Roll back windows updates

- Check reliability monitor

- Do a clean install

None of this worked so they sent me a replacement XPS 9570...but it has the same problem. Here are the programs that I have running when this occurs:

- Chrome

- Outlook

- OpenVPN

- Slack

The CPU is never over 15% and the Memory usage never goes above 40%, computer is not hot. I'm not sure what else to do at this point and am considering just sending this back and going to pick up a laptop from Best Buy. Does anyone have any advice?

1 Message

December 26th, 2018 07:00

Hey Dell. We have the same problem listed above and my IT department is returning the 98 purchased 1 week ago.

Just so I'm clear, the moderator gave steps that were for Windows 7 & 8 for the Dell XPS 15, which if I'm not crazy has Windows 10.

This is Dell's typical response. The moderator spent 0.5 seconds reading the issues, asked questions that were all answered already, and gave help that was 100% useless.

8 Posts

December 29th, 2018 07:00

So, I stopped using Chrome after the last freeze, hoping that that was indeed the issue… It wasn't.

When I got the computer, I got a freeze within hours of unboxing it, with nothing else attached to it. Back then I guessed a memory issue or some other kind of hardware issue, but running memtest from Windows (at reboot) showed that the memory was OK. I tried back and forth and the problem disappeared when I updated the "Killer" drivers.

I had no problems for nearly two weeks, but then it happened several times in a row on dec 23rd and 24th. So, I rebooted, did not start Chrome and used Microsoft Edge instead. Worked for a couple of days, then this morning I left the computer for a short while and around 11.20 returned to a screen showing the current time (in the activity bar) as 11.05. 

I rebooted, checked the event logs (not entirely sure what to look for as I've never experienced this kind of issue before) - the things I could find was dated at ~11.28 saying that the previous Windows session was not shutdown properly (duh). I looked around in the logs, checked failures and warnings, but had nothing after 11.00 that seemed to be of any importance. 

I exchanged a four year-old Lenovo mid-range laptop for what I thought was a "premium" laptop (the XPS). I've had Dells before and I've had no major issues with them, however this one is working extremely poorly, especially when connected to my HP 3005pr Port Replicator (the same one that my customers use, so any PC I use professionally should work with that one). 

I've checked with the Support Assistant and there are no updates; I'm using the 1.6.0 BIOS and aside from the GeForce and Killer drivers, I have the ones recommended by Dell. Prior to updating the Killer drivers the computer froze even more frequently.

December 31st, 2018 04:00

Hey,

I still have this issue. As was written before the problems with the freezes didn't happen so frequent between Dec.9th - Dec. 24th:

My Dell XPS 15 9570 is used daily on my Dell D3000 USB Dock. And as you see I have the system freezes quite often since Dec 29th (I was on holidays until Dec. 29th).

For me the freezes only occur when the Dell D3000 is connected. There are no freezes if I use the laptop by itself. I also have a Dell Business Thunderbolt Dock TB16 at work which does not produce any freezes. Only when the Dell D3000 is connected via USB 3.0 I have the problems.

Firmware is up to date as I use the Dell Update Tool.

In my opinion it makes no difference which software is currently running (eg Chrome/Firefox/MS Edge) as this should be a driver issue.

The issues I'm having:

- when dell d3000 dock is connected, I get problems when typing on the keyboard. The system hangs for 1-2s and the currently pressed key is repeated (like when writing this text):

- after some time the system totally freezes, no input is recognized at all

Any help on this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Best

Simon

• 

25.7K Posts

January 1st, 2019 06:00

Simon,

Thanks for reaching out to us. The Kernel error is indicating that the system did not shut down in the previous instance. Please confirm if you see any abnormality during the shutdown process?

Also, please confirm if the system freezes only with dock connected to the system or it freezes when the dock is connected with an external peripheral to it on the computer?

In addition, please confirm if the keyboard is connected to the dock or to the system directly.

- Ravi

8 Posts

January 1st, 2019 11:00

As I've stated, I have the same issue with the HP 3005pr dock, if other users are having similar issues with another dock, that hints issues with the USB 3.0 drivers. 

With the keyboard & mouse attached to the HP dock, the keyboard freezes quite frequently, and the computer freezes occasionally. A system freeze will give the same Critical shutdown messages as mentioned, since the only way to get the computer to respond is to kill it holding down the power button until it switches off. 

I've been using the computer stand-alone, without anything connected, for the last couple of days and that seems to work without much hassle. I've had a "keyboard"-freeze once (the integrated keyboard) in the last 3-4 days, that was probably caused by something else and the computer started responding again within seconds.

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

January 1st, 2019 11:00

Hi gotmig,

Have you observed this issue with both the USB ports on your system?

What is the BIOS version installed on your system?

Have you tried disabling the Killer driver to check if the issue persists?

There will be a new BIOS released for this model in a couple of days. However, I am not sure if this issue has been reported.

Please share the service tag along with the registered name & email address on a private message. I will have this escalated to the product team.

January 3rd, 2019 05:00

Dear Ravi,

Thanks for your answer.

@DELL-Cares wrote:

Simon,

Thanks for reaching out to us. The Kernel error is indicating that the system did not shut down in the previous instance. Please confirm if you see any abnormality during the shutdown process?

The Kernel error I posted in the screenshot shows how often my system freezes. Every time it was frozen I had to hold the power key for 10s to do the hard shutdown. In this case the Kernel error was logged. When shutting down in a regular way I normally don't have any problems.

Also, please confirm if the system freezes only with dock connected to the system or it freezes when the dock is connected with an external peripheral to it on the computer?

For me the system freeze only occurs when the USB 3.0 Dell D3000 dock is connected - when running the laptop without any dock connected the freeze didn't occur for me. To my Dell D3000 dock all peripheral is connected, such as keyboard, mouse, printer, ethernet, 2 monitors, iphone.

I did no tests with the Dell D3000 connected but all peripherals disconnected. As the freeze occurs nondeterministic it is hard to wait for it.

I have the feeling that it has something to do with the energy saving settings. When running in an energy saving mode the freezes appear way less often. Also the 1-2s keyboard freezes with repeating of the currently pressed key is happening less often.

Hopefully you can help us with that problem.

Unfortunately I also experienced the 1-2s keyboard freezes with repeating of the currently pressed key with my Dell TB16 Thunderbolt Dock at work. So I'm not sure if this problem is really a USB 3.0 problem or something else.

Best

Simon

• 

17K Posts

January 3rd, 2019 09:00

mr.simonski,

Click the links below for information and drivers.

Support for Dell SuperSpeed USB 3.0 Docking Station

Wireless and USB dock troubleshooting (Dell D3000, Dell 5000 and Targus USB Docks)

Performance, display and network issues with the Dell USB 3.0 SuperSpeed Dock (D3000 and D3100).

For my notes, click my username and send me the pc service tag number via private message.

1 Message

January 24th, 2019 06:00

what did you do to solve the issue...Are you still using the same XPS ..

5 Posts

January 28th, 2019 07:00

EXACTLY THE SAME PROBLEM. The only difference is that I am using DA300. The freezing cause my mouse to stop working and my keyboard to keep inputting the same character in a short time which makes it difficult to use. I have updated all drivers but it seems that it doesn't make any sense.

5 Posts

January 29th, 2019 06:00

I think  I find a solution.

See https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/XPS-15-9570-Problems-with-USB-keyboard/m-p/7196590/highlight/true#M24156 for details and give it a try. Hope to solve your problem.

February 1st, 2019 13:00

@Lazymio wrote:

I think  I find a solution.

See https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/XPS-15-9570-Problems-with-USB-keyboard/m-p/7196590/highlight/true#M24156 for details and give it a try. Hope to solve your problem.

Thanks for the hint. I tried it out but unfortunately I still have the described problems with my Dell USB 30 dock.

2 Intern

• 

385 Posts

February 2nd, 2019 20:00

What kind of AC adapter are you using?

I had a similar problem with my XPS 15 ( L501X) for some time. Symptoms: Total freezing and only way to recover was to hold down the power button. No error logs, memory dump or clues in the event viewer. 

This happened after my originale ac 130 watt died and I was able to get a used original 130 watt adapter. With this adapter the freezes start happening  every other day, with load and on idle. I tried with just the battery and it turned of after just 5 minutes... 

Then it hit me; I have two external HDD, a usb hub with a laptop cooler, logitech G633 and a wireless keyboard attached at all times.

So was it possible that the used 130 watt couldn't give enough power and that results in the unrecoverable freezing?

I have an Alienware 17 R3 with a 240 watt power supply so I tried it on my XPS. And guess what, no freezing after 4 days!.

So if you are using a 130 watt adapter or lower wattage, try to get a mor powerful adapter or an adapter to the dock if you dont have one. In my case it seems to be linked to the 130 watt adapter that cant give the power the laptop with its external devices needs.

11 Posts

February 25th, 2019 17:00

My system (xps15 9570) was purchased late last year as well.

I seem to be having the same issue with a similar setup but mine is a d3100 docking station. I am trying to run the system without the docking station to see if that is the reason for the freezing.

February 27th, 2019 05:00

Dear Thomas, Thanks for the message.

I use the original Dell AC adapter which came for my laptop as well as the original AC adapter which came with the D3000 dock. As the Dell D3000 dock has its own 32.5W power adapter I assume there is no issue with power supply.

But additionally I did the test and disconnnect everything from the D3000 dock except one monitor via the DVI plug. Unfortunately the freeze still occurred the same way as before, nothing changed. Without the Dell D3000 connected the laptop runs stable.

Today I updated my firmware from 1.7 to 1.8.1 and all other drivers which were release after 15/1/2019 (this was the date I refreshed my drivers the last time). Lets see if this has some impact.

Best Simon

No Events found!