Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 25th, 2020 06:00

XPS 9570 shuts down when inactive, even when power settings set to Never

Hello,

I'm new to the forum and before writing this message I did some extensive searching on this forum and on other pages to see if I could find someone with the issue that I have, but no luck so far, so I decided to ask here. 

I just recently purchased a Dell XPS9570 laptop second hand and so far, I'm really happy with the machine.  I am running into one issue that i cannot seem to solve.  I set the Dell power settings plan via the control panel such that the "Turn off the display" function is set at 10 minutes (when connected to AC) and the "put the computer to sleep" setting at Never (also when connected to AC). But, what I continually find is that when I leave my computer for an hour or so running a program and I go back to the PC, the computer has now gone to sleep and the process I was running stops.  I can wake the PC simply hitting a key on the keyboard, but the progress on the program that was running completely stops.  And, if I leave it long enough (overnight, for example), I need to press the power button to get the machine to startup as if it has completely shut down. 

Any idea how to fix this?  I am running BIOS 1.15.0 from 12/25/2019. The machine specs are the i7-8750, 16GB RAM, 4k touchscreen display. The version of windows is the win10 1903 version. Is there any additional information needed to know what could possibly be happening here?  

Thanks,

John  

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

March 25th, 2020 06:00

You have to dig deeper into settings to correct this--Open Settings (or right click on the Start button) Power Options or Power & Sleep, Additional Power Settings on the right side, Change your Power Plan.  Then change Sleep, Hybrid Sleep and Hibernation settings as well as any other settings you want to change. Windows 10 has many diff ways to change things. After you use it for awhile you will be more comfortable using it. 

3 Posts

March 25th, 2020 09:00

If what MaryG said doesn't work, there is a BIOS setting for this.

In BIOS, it's POWER MANAGEMENT->BLOCK SLEEP

There is a checkbox that's probably unchecked.  Click the checkbox, save, and restart.

That was driving me crazy for a long time.

March 26th, 2020 07:00

Thanks for both your inputs.  Following Mary's recommendation, I found an additional setting that put the PC in sleep after 30 minutes and hibernate after 31 minutes when connected to AC.  An annoying setting that is fairly well hidden in the advanced menu settings.  Thank you very much!

John

1 Message

March 28th, 2021 05:00

Hey guys. I have the same issue AND I have changed all the settings I can think of. In power settings I set 'put the computer to sleep' to never. (Assume all changes are to 'on battery' and 'plugged in').

Next I go to 'change advanced power settings'. I changed 'turn off hard disk's after' to 0 (never). Went down to 'sleep' and changed 'sleep after' and 'hibernate after' to never. Changed 'allow hybrid sleep' to off. 

STILL the laptop turns off and I have to hit the power button to start it up. I'm not sure of the time in munutes that the power off is happening in. I'm pretty sure I'm doing everything right.  Any help would be appreciated. Cheers

No Events found!