Start a Conversation

Unsolved

C

1 Rookie

• 

76 Posts

July 24th, 2019 10:00

XPS 9575 tent mode not working.

As above - this is another post about the same thing. As above ive got a 9575 - bought from ebay, seller said the warranty was transferrable...turns out it looks like its not....phoned up to enquire about the warranty transfer, which gradually unfolded into no warranty. A lengthy previous thread has turned up virtually nothing. So, switching the angle, first and foremost i started life as a hardware engineer and then went into system administration so im more than happy pulling anything apart to the chasis and rebuilding from the ground up.

One of the last things i was hinging on was that should i be able to switch the warranty i could get an oem image. But, today at work i recevied a latitude 5300 2 in 1 so promptly pulled the disc (with its oem image) and plugged it into my 9575. The disc booted, the os installed but, again it behaved just like a normal laptop....no tent/tablet mode.

And, just to rub salt into the wound the 5300 which i then rebuilt with a new SSD installed an oem image of win 10 1903, activated and, once the drivers were up to date (from the microsoft site) the tent mode worked perfectly.

Which, leads me to my question....assuming there is a hardware problem, i dont have any warranty support - wheres the sensor that deals with the operation of folding it back on itself, in the screen or on the main board...if i can find that and replace i might solve my problem.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

July 25th, 2019 17:00

I see that DELL-Jesse L tried to assist in transferring the service tag into your name. Did that fail? I also see the notation about warranty voided from DELL-Sreejith R.

I am surprised that the Latitude 5300 2-in-1 drive actually worked on the XPS 15-9575 2-in-1! Those are different OEM OS builds.

As to the sensor question, neither the external Service Manual nor the internal training mention one. Nor do they speak to hinge tear down where a sensor could be located.

Are you saying that you downloaded/installed the Dell OS Recovery Tool, then ran it and entered the service tag number, that the tool at that point failed?

1 Rookie

• 

76 Posts

July 25th, 2019 23:00

Hi - well - i was reasonable optimistic that it would work....chipset driver covers the entire rangle and theres only been a couple of intel sensor drivers in the last couple of years so its not changed much....i would strongly suspect that the sensor is in the screen, but, the screen is so thin it looks like a non serviceable item....ie a new screen...My theory for the sensor being in the screen was that the 5300 2 in 1 i was messing around with, if i held the screen horizontal in one hand and used the other to rotate round - it flipped....

With regards to the recovery tool. No matter what i ran/connected to wired or wireless the dell os tool fails at 0%. DCFAdmin said that the reason it didnt work was that the warranty wasnt transferred...now how the laptop knows who's name is on the warranty is a bit of mystery to me but i might be getting the wrong end of the stick....

• 

16.7K Posts

July 29th, 2019 07:00

Comfy,

I am going to try and investigate this further. I will need your information again. 

Click my name and private message me the pc service tag number as well as your registered name, email address, and phone number.

No Events found!