Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

1 Rookie

• 

2 Posts

May 11th, 2021 04:00

XPS L502 x

This is an old XPS L502 x and most probably the best Laptop I have ever used. Bought with Windows 7 which was upgraded to Windows 10. Ironically, Dell do not support Windows 10 for this Laptop.

Lately the cursor has started playing up. It runs OK for about an hour or so and then freezes up. I wonder if recently installed MS Office 2016 has anything to do with it!

In order to get any work done I have to use conventional wireless mouse which can be annoying. 

I'd appreciate any suggestion, any help? 

1 Rookie

• 

87 Posts

May 11th, 2021 14:00

I am sorry I cannot be of help, but I wanted to chime in to say I also have a Dell XPS L502x, purchased new in 2011. It's been running like a top ever since. Granted, I bumped its memory to 16GB and I've performed a few fixes to it over the years, replacing the bezal, new keyboard, etc. but it's been a champ! Only just recently did I decide to upgrade to a new Dell XPS 9500 because I wanted a newer, faster, CPU and 32GB of memory.

1 Rookie

• 

2 Posts

May 17th, 2021 14:00

XPSes are indeed top jobs from Dell. I bought L502x also in 2011 and have never had any problem until recently. The mouse started to freeze or dragged on a bit. It might have been trivial but irritating just the same.

It is a shame that Dell refused to support such a lovely product because it’s no longer under warrantee. I’m not suggesting that the laptop should come with a lifetime guarantee but Dell should at least advise as to what might be the best way forward.

Fortunately, the problem is resolved by itself with a new battery.

I am too, thinking of upgrading – what’s XPS 9500 is like? And, from where do you think the best deal might be available? I know they are NOT cheap!

1 Rookie

• 

87 Posts

May 19th, 2021 13:00

I bought my Dell XPS 9500 at the end of February 2021 to replace the L502x.

For reference I have the Dell XPS 15 9500 15.6" Laptop Computer - Silver Intel Core i7-10750H Processor 2.6GHz; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 Ti; 32GB DDR4-2933 RAM; 1TB Solid State Drive

I love the form factor! It is extremely thin. Especially when compared to the L502x.

I love its speed and start-up! It literally takes less than 30 seconds and I am looking at my desktop.

The display (4K UHD with the Infinity Edge) is bright and breathtaking!

I use my system predominately for productivity (email and web), but I also use it for photo and video editing. I am not much of a gamer, but I've had good luck running MS Flight Simulator with some tweaks to the settings.

I did encounter an issue earlier this month involving the right arrow key and End keys on the keyboard giving me erroneous characters instead of what was expected, but Dell was responsive and sent an onsite tech to replace the motherboard and palmrest, though I think all it needed was a new palmrest.

I am extremely pleased with my purchase and as a fellow L502x user, I am sure you would be as well.

1 Rookie

• 

87 Posts

May 19th, 2021 14:00

I should add the Build/Ship Date for my XPS was January 21, 2021.

October 26th, 2021 11:00

Try to us it without your power adapter.  I had similar problem and it worked for me.

I also found an old dell adapter and now I'm OK.  No more frozen cursor.

No Events found!