Start a Conversation

Unsolved

C

2 Posts

December 31st, 2018 01:00

XPS Screen Issue - Need Advice

My screen is flickering sometimes and goes slightly green making small text difficult to read.

Is the fault with the screen or something else?

I have tried reseating the screen which made no difference.

The screen does not flicker to slightly green when the screen is moved.

When using an external monitor all colours are fine. So issue not with graphics output.

Thanks

7 Technologist

• 

12K Posts

December 31st, 2018 06:00

Could you please post the model of your laptop? Is the system still under warranty? If so call Dell tech support and they can diagnose the problem. Also run diagnostics on your system. Restart the system and at the Dell splash screen start tapping F12. Run full system diagnostics paying special attention to the LCD results.

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

January 1st, 2019 05:00

Thank you for your message. If your system is in warranty & need assistance with any part replacement.

For my reference, please click on the message tab next to your avatar– click “New Message” & search for my Dell username (Sreejith R) & send a private message with the service tag, registered name & email address.

How to find service tag.

January 3rd, 2019 02:00

Model is Studio 1645. It is no longer under warranty. I have ran diagnostic it did not detect any faults. The screen has the green tinge in dos. Colour is fine when using external monitor.

7 Technologist

• 

12K Posts

January 4th, 2019 05:00

I am not sure that the following page may help but there are a couple of suggestions posted there. If the screen does it in DOS that would seem to indicate a hardware problem with the screen, whether it passed diagnostics or not. The link below pertains to an external monitor but the fixes suggested would be the same for a laptop.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/screen-has-a-green-tint-to-it-windows-10/8724e339-0195-4f0d-affc-16759ddcbdf0?auth=1

590 Posts

January 4th, 2019 07:00

This sounds like a problem with adaptive screen brightness (CABC).  (Note from an engineering perspective: when different current is applied to the LEDs lighting up the screen the tint can change.)

I'd look for an adaptive brightness setting and try turning it off.  Maybe in the BIOS or graphics/screen/display settings.

In some cases Dell has forced this on users with no way to turn it off.  They've also updated BIOS on some laptops to be able to turn it off - see post here and posts after it.

EDIT:  What version of Windows are you running?  Same question for BIOS and video driver.  Did you update any software/drivers recently, especially video/graphics related?

No Events found!