Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 30th, 2018 04:00

XPS 13 9365 2-in-1, cannot update BIOS

I have a Dell XPS 13 9365 2-in-1 which is currently running BIOS version 1.3.1 and I cannot update the BIOS to a newer version.

I have ensured that the charger is always connected.

I have tried using the Dell Support Assist Tool to update the BIOS to 1.5.0 but that did not work.

I have also tried running the downloaded the BIOS update files from the Dell Support Website for both 1.5.0 and 1.4.2 but both do not work.

What happens is the following:

1) I run the BIOS update file XPS_9365_1_5_0

2) Loading bar appears and completes. 

3) Screen says Restarting.

4) The computer restarts and reaches the Dell Logo and spinning white dots.

5) Then suddenly the screen, keyboard and power button light go black.

6) It does not turn on until I turn on the power button and it boots as normal but BIOS update did not occur.

I have tried disabling Intel Virtualization Technology in the BIOS and tried enabling Secure Boot from the Boot Menu. Both did not work.

I have tried using the one time boot menu to flash the BIOS from a FAT32 USB however it did not work either.

Went through the menus to Flash bios, selected 1_5_0 BIOS file, screen said updating BIOS.

The screen turned black and keyboard turned off. Then the keyboard lit up again and the Dell logo appeared. However suddenly the screen, keyboard and power button lights all turn off. Pressing the power button, it boots successfully but the BIOS is still 1.3.1. 

Now my Dell is showing strange behaviours as when it boots up, it turns off during the Dell Logo and spinning dots and needs to be powered on once or twice more to boot up properly.

I have tried a lot and can't seem to fix this issue. I am not sure why it is so hard to simply update the BIOS.

Any help would be lifesaving as I have been stuck with this issue for a while now.

Edit: Tried to Flash BIOS from one time boot menu, failed to update BIOS.

5 Posts

April 13th, 2019 14:00

I had this problem on my 9365 XPS 13 2-in-1:  I was stuck on BIOS 1.3.1 and could not update it.  Running the update would just result in a black screen, a reboot, and no change, no matter how I tried it.

Here's what I did to solve it:

1.  Downloaded the latest BIOS update (currently 2.4.1, filename: XPS_13_9365_2.4.1.exe)

2.  Renamed that file to BIOS_PRE.rcv

3.  Started an elevated command prompt and mounted the EFI partition using "mountvol X: /s"

4.  Navigated to X:\Dell\BIOS\Recovery and replaced the existing BIOS_PRE.rcv with the new BIOS file (you may want to backup the old one, not to mention any data you want to keep, before doing any of this). 

5.  Powered off the computer and unplugged the power cord.

6.  Held CTRL+ESC as I plugged the power cord back in (no need to touch the power button), continued holding for some time until I finally got the BIOS recovery screen.

7.  Selected the rollback option and ran the BIOS recovery.

8.  After several minutes and several apparent reboots, got my new BIOS installed!

2 Posts

July 30th, 2018 06:00

Hello,

In the BIOS setup under Battery Information its says:

Primary

Battery 100%

Health: Excellent

AC Adapter: 30W

10 Elder

• 

24.7K Posts

July 30th, 2018 06:00

Does the system correctly recognize the AC adapter and battery (F2 at powerup to check)?

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

July 30th, 2018 07:00

When the system updates the Bios it goes through several different processes for different components.  It takes maybe eight minutes or more to finish the update and it may reboot more than once.

The next time you try the update, keep track of what it shows it is updating and see if it always quits after one specific procedure.

8 Posts

August 10th, 2018 20:00

im having the exact same issue

10 Posts

September 18th, 2018 06:00

I'm having exactly the same issue. I have tried patching the BIOS from Windows, Command prompt (with parameters) and from the bios itself, all with the same result.  I managed to downgrade from 1.2 to 1.1 but not up to 1.5. After restoring the BIOS am back at 1.2. 

BR

Peter

5 Posts

November 11th, 2018 16:00

Same issue here.  Has anyone got the BIOS update to work?

2 Posts

February 27th, 2019 19:00

Same problem after trying multiple bios update files and methods from Dell.
They all result in the same behavior.

I started looking into this because I have another problem with the system not booting up after pressing the power button but the keys light up. The only workaround has been to unscrew 11 screws (1 philips, 10x torx 5) to remove the battery ... which is a pain.

TROUBLESHOOTING ACTIONS ATTEMPTED:
Reinstalled Windows (shouldn't matter but I was doing it anyway).
Reset BIOS to defaults numerous times.
Disabled as many features in the BIOS as possible (in various combinations).

BIOS UPDATE METHODS:
. Windows install
. DOS install
. Builtin in BIOS update install (with bios update files on flash and internal ssd).

BIOS UPDATE VERSIONS:
9365_1.0.21
9365_1.1.0
9365_1.3.1
9365_1.4.2
9365_1.5.0
9365_2.1.2
9365_2.3.1
9365_2.4.1

On my last attempt I did the following:

Ran the update as administrator from Windows 10 Pro no antivirus enabled.

---------------------------
Confirm BIOS Replacement
Do you wish to execute the BIOS update procedure?

1.3.1 INSTALLED (Dell System XPS 13 9365)
- XPS 13 9365 System BIOS with BiosGuard : 1.3.1
- Intel Management Engine Unmanaged Firmware Update : 11.8
- Main System TI Port Controller 0 : 1.11.5.1
- Main System Cypress Port Controller 0 : 0.0.13
- Embedded Controller : 1.0.24

2.4.1 UPDATE (Dell System XPS 13 9365)
- XPS 13 9365 System BIOS with BiosGuard : 2.4.1
- Intel Management Engine Unmanaged Firmware Update : 11.8
- Main System TI Port Controller 0 : 1.11.5.1
- Main System Cypress Port Controller 0 : 0.0.15
- Embedded Controller : 1.0.33
- PCR0 XML : 0.0.0.1
- XPS Board Map : 1.0.1

OK Cancel

OK
Restart
Booted back into Windows with no bios update performed.

I've seen or heard of a computer with this many problems.
If this doesn't get resolved, I'm pretty sure this is last Dell product I'll ever buy.
:Sad:

3 Posts

March 1st, 2019 06:00

I am having these exact same issues, I've tried updating the BIOS from inside Windows & Linux and also tried running the update from inside the BIOS with the file on an external USB stick.

I've tried multiple different versions of the update and have exactly the same symptoms as the people above - the update starts (no indication of whether it runs or not) and the computer restarts. 

When I check the BIOS version nothing has happened.

3 Posts

March 1st, 2019 06:00

@Saltgrass wrote:

When the system updates the Bios it goes through several different processes for different components.  It takes maybe eight minutes or more to finish the update and it may reboot more than once.

The next time you try the update, keep track of what it shows it is updating and see if it always quits after one specific procedure.

It doesn't show any indication of what it is doing. I have checked the BIOS logs and they show nothing either.

It also doesn't restart multiple times for me, it just restarts once and it goes to the normal bootloader

3 Posts

April 10th, 2019 09:00

I am having this same issue. Please let us know if you solved it.

3 Posts

April 14th, 2019 03:00

Thank you yuruncle, that worked for me! The piece I was missing was that you need to have BIOS recovery enabled in the BIOS settings, once that is done the CTRL-ESC step works, if it's disabled the machine just shuts down with no message.

3 Posts

May 22nd, 2019 10:00

does not work for me and my warranty has expired so i am now stuck with a dud!

Dell - not cool.

2 Posts

August 22nd, 2019 14:00

I am having the same issue. I’ve been on the phone with Dell service now three evenings in a row and no fix. Finally they are letting me ship them the laptop and promised it would be sent back to me fixed. I do have the premium support service plan but that’s cheaper than getting a new laptop.

November 21st, 2019 11:00

Worked like a champ.  My XPS 13 9350 with BitLocker was stuck on BIOS 1.7.1, unable to upgrade and constant crashing.  This was the only thread and solution that gave me a clear path to upgrade in a sensible manner.  

No Events found!