Start a Conversation

Unsolved

S

9 Posts

November 15th, 2021 06:00

dell xps 13 9360 - battery connector

Having a problem!  For some reason my laptop started telling me that it didnt recognise the power adapter when i plugged it into charge.  It will work on the mains but will not charge the battery.  Got a new charger but still didn't recognise the power adapter.  Not the charging port as it wouldn't work on the mains apparently.  Have had the battery replaced but still will not charge up the battery and still getting the same message that it's not recognising the power adapter.  Both power adapters are Dell, 45watts.  Am now being told that it's more than likely the battery connector which is non replaceable? Any help and advice appreciated!!!!!

10 Elder

• 

24.7K Posts

November 15th, 2021 07:00

It's more likely the DC jack, which is replaceable.

https://www.parts-people.com/index.php?action=item&id=19725

9 Posts

November 15th, 2021 08:00

Hiya, am told that it can't be the DC Jack as the laptop works with the charger on the mains, it's just the battery won't charge

10 Elder

• 

24.7K Posts

November 15th, 2021 10:00

That's not true.  It is actually very common for a system to run fine with the adapter, but for the system to fail recognition of the AC adapter. 

There's a separate wire in the jack/plug that completes a logic circuit - if the system does not recognize the adapter, the battery will not charge.

If the system doesn't recognize the battery, you may have a different issue - but it the batter is recognized, but the adapter is not, either the DC jack is bad, or the power circuit on the system board is faulty.  Since the jack is under $30 vs. hundreds of dollars to replace the mainboard, try the jack first - it very well may solve the issue.

No Events found!