Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 13th, 2018 15:00

dell xps9560 and 27" ips u2718Q monitor

I just purchased a new xps 9560 laptop, that has 4k resolution.  I also purchased the 27" Dell monitor, that also has 4k, model is 27" us2718Q.  I want to have two monitors on my system, and my other monitor is probably a 6 year old Dell monitor, not sure of model number.  When I have both of them turned on, on my new monitor, which I guess I want to use as my primary, I am only getting 2048 x 1080. when hooked up at the same time as my old Dell monitor.  If I completely unhook my old Dell monitor, I can get 3840 x 2160.  I am probably not setting something correct, or, maybe you cannot do the setup I am trying to do.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

January 14th, 2018 11:00

It would help a lot if you'd explain how you're actually connecting these displays to your system. The USB-C/Thunderbolt connector is the only one that can do 4K resolution @ 60 Hz.  The HDMI output can only do 4K @ 30 Hz or 2560x1600 @ 60 Hz.  However, the capabilities of the USB-C/Thunderbolt port depend on how it's being used.  I wrote a detailed post about USB-C and Thunderbolt here if you're interested.  If you don't want to read something that long, then the short answer is to use a USB-C to DisplayPort adapter for your 4K display and connect your other older display via HDMI.  If you've been trying to use DisplayPort daisy chaining, that won't work if you have a 4K @ 60 Hz display in the chain because that display alone consumes almost all of the available bandwidth of a DisplayPort 1.2 connection.  You'd be able to use daisy chaining if the system supported DisplayPort 1.3 or better, but it doesn't.

No Events found!