Start a Conversation

Unsolved

EC

6 Posts

May 28th, 2020 09:00

low performace xps 15 9570 (gaming)

Hello, I bought my xps 15 9570 a year ago (512gb ssd, 16ram, geforce gtx 1050 ti max-q, i7 8th gen) with the purpose of using it for university and also for gaming, in the beginning it was perfect, gaming fps as it should be. But in the last few months, the performance while gaming just dropped significantly. I play games like league of legends, hearthstone, cs go, and now valorant. They used to run above 100 fps with max settings, and now cs go and valorant stays around the 40fps mark, even if i turn down the quality setting, the fps still doesn't change, sometimes it hits 120 fps and then drops again. I updated all the system and GPU drivers, and also the BIOS, besides windows 10. Also tried to change some nvdia control panel settings to improve performance, nothing worked.  Also tried changing the dell power manager to ultra performance, still doesn't improve at all. Overall the system performance is fine, but for some reason gaming used to be a lot smoother. I just don't know what to do anymore, and I am open to any advises.valorant fps.jpeg

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

May 28th, 2020 13:00

Unplug the system, remove the base cover and disconnect the battery.  Thoroughly clean out any dust inside -- particularly on the fans and heatsinks.  Just a thin layer of dust will prevent the cooling system from doing its job.  

June 2nd, 2020 10:00

thanks man, i was reading some stuff and they said it would probably help if I used a thermal paste.. i will probably try that too.

27 Posts

June 3rd, 2020 11:00

RePasting can help, but if it was working fine before you probably only need to clean the vents.

It is VERY easy to damage the heat pipes, so if you're going to repaste be super careful.  One little kink from a slight bend can ruin the heat pipe.

June 3rd, 2020 12:00

i appreciate your advice, i'll try to clean the vents first and if i didn't decrease the temperature i will take a look for someone that has some experiencie repasting. I just tried undervolting (-0.120) and it helped a bit

1 Message

August 29th, 2020 07:00

I have exactly the same issue. Started playing CSGO after a long break, and it's unplayable. Did you manage to find a solution?

Thinks I did so far:

• Cleaned the fans
  • Repasted
  • Added thermal pads to the VRMs
  • Disconnected/Reconnected the battery

Nothing worked. Still bad performance while gaming.

44 Posts

September 3rd, 2020 14:00

What version of the BIOS are you guys running?
It's possible the latest few BIOS updates decreased the performance because of security fixes.

September 4th, 2020 08:00

i will ask someone to clean the fans and repaste my computer, because i noticed that the temperatures were causing thermal throttling, i'll reply later to tell if it worked.

September 4th, 2020 08:00

guess i'm using the last one, but i reset the factory setting to be able to undervolt

1 Message

May 18th, 2021 08:00

Hi! Same here (XPS 9570 i7-8750h gtx1050-ti maxq)
In the first year of the laptop I could play AC Odyssey in very high at about 45 fps, now if I run the game it instantly drops at 8 fps then up to 30/40 for few seconds, and down again accordingly with the graph view (of the CPU) in the task manager that falls with the fps
This behaviour is not very recent, I noticed about it several months ago but I wasn't playing any game at the time and every other stuff was working well.

I tried undervolting but I couldn't because of the bios security protection, so,
I downgraded the BIOS to the 1.15.1 version in order to undervolt (it works) but nothing has changed.
Undervolted GPU with afterburner.. nothing

I didn't open and repast yet, I will next week but the laptop has been cleaned about 6 months ago so.. ok I'll do it anyway.. 

Really hope to fix it with cleaning and thermal treatment cus this laptop was very satisfying before even if it's not for gaming. 

February 20th, 2023 01:00

Hey there!
Were you able to find a fix for this problem?
I bought the laptop from ebay and I have been having this issue from the start

February 20th, 2023 08:00

I recently found this out but sometimes, the computer will auto use the intel integrated graphics rather than ur dedicated. If you go into BIOS and go to display or GPU and turn on something along the lines of hardware acceleration or graphics acceleration, that should fix some issues. Try looking it up and they will have a more detailed guide. 

February 27th, 2023 14:00

I wasn't able to solve it properly, but I found out the cause. The cooling system of the XPS is too weak for the processor and the graphics card, so it keeps thermal throttling. It wasn't made for specifically for gaming. At first when I bought it I kinda knew, but did not care enough about it. Now I know it is quite a big deal. A few things that helped were:

changing the thermal paste (the one that comes with it is not near the bests)

buying a cooling pad (the more fans and more speed, more cool, less thermal throttling, more fps :]

switching the power management config to "COOL" (this is one that really helps, but only in low usage of the graphics card and processor, games like valorant, minecraft, etc., bc it limits them (processor and gc) and increase the speed of the fans.

and undervolting it (something around 0.150 mV, but u should watch a video before doing it, I used Intel XTU)

I suggest not changing the power config and undervolting at the same time, there's a reason but u will probably get it. Hope this helps. Oh one more thing, always try to keep the fans clean from dust and dirt (cat fur as well haha).

No Events found!