Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 14th, 2018 20:00

XPS 13 L321X, system firmware does not support hibernation

I have an XPS 13 L321X, 64bit, and (after some weeks of mucking around) had motherboard, a daughter board and battery replaced two weeks ago.

Now every time I start it up after leaving it sleep mode I get "windows didn't shut down normal" etc.  

I think that failing to go into hibernation is the problem, but all the advice I see on how to set hibernation doesn't work because the hibernate option is not appearing.

I try to run powercfg to set it, and get a message saying the firmware doesn't support it.  

It sure as used to support it, what do I need to do?  Please let it not be a hardware fix, I've already had a month of no laptop while Dell stuffed around with wrong parts, wrong diagnosis, failure to deliver etc!!!

4 Posts

February 20th, 2018 14:00

Dell tech found a solution for this, adding it here for the record.  

Apparently it's iRST, Intel Rapid Start Technology that's the issue, related to the use of SSD instead of actual disk.  

Fully explained here:  http://www.troublefixers.com/hibernate-on-ss/  Explains the issue and how to turn iRST off.

In any case, if iRST is turned off, hibernate is there again.  

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

February 14th, 2018 21:00

I had an XPS 13 9350 where I updated the BIOS, and a long while later I noticed that when I put it to sleep, it actually cut all power like yours, which of course meant that all of my work was gone when I woke it back up (or technically, powered it back on from unexpected shutdown).  After mucking around with drivers and settings to no avail, I was right about to perform a clean install, but then I remembered that BIOS update I had performed.  It said it completed successfully back then, but I wondered if maybe reflashing the same BIOS release again might fix it.  My hopes were low, but I figured it was worth a few minutes before hunkering down for a clean install.  Reflashing the same BIOS version fixed it.

4 Posts

February 14th, 2018 22:00

Thanks for that information, very much appreciated.

I was in chat with Dell tech when your reply came through, we were about to update BIOS but he was worried about reflashing with same version.

Based on your experience we went ahead, but hasn't made any difference.

Thanks anyway!

No Events found!