This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 5th, 2018 20:00

XPS 13-9370, Keyboard skips button presses

remove

24 Posts

June 10th, 2018 20:00

I've not been able to login for a while due to account issues, but although I installed 1.3.2 the key press issue sill remains. I'm constantly having to retype and it's especially bad when entering passwords and credit card numbers. I don't type ether of those particularly fast so I don't think it's a speed issue, and even if it was, it shouldn't be there at all.

I will try the new update, but if the problem persists I'll have to return the laptop when I next get back to the UK.

June 11th, 2018 10:00

This issue is confirmed fixed now, this is a closed case.

The latest BIOS is 1.3.3.

4 Posts

June 20th, 2018 13:00

I can confirm that the XPS 9365 BIOS update released on 06/19/2018 (1.4.2) does NOT address the keyboard issue. I just tested it today.

June 20th, 2018 15:00

I can confirm that the issue has not been resolved either. As I'm writing this, the computer missed many letters even though I'm writing really carefully.

4 Posts

June 20th, 2018 16:00

OK Sir! No problem for me... Thank you for your notice and attention!

Ron

4 Operator

• 

783 Posts

June 20th, 2018 16:00

@ronaande @MarcoVegaR,

I can confirm that the exclusion of the keyboard fix from 9365 1.4.2 was intentional. Dell technical support is currently awaiting a new ETA.

June 20th, 2018 18:00

Thanks for your reply Justin. I confused the thread, my model is actually the XPS 15 9570, there's already a topic for that one. We have no firmware updates related to that just yet.

4 Operator

• 

783 Posts

June 21st, 2018 08:00

@ronaande,

Happy to work with you.

@MarcoVegaR,

I've opened a case on the 9570 and will soon try to replicate the issue on that model.

2 Posts

July 2nd, 2018 02:00

I am still experiencing this issue on a 9365. Is this going to be fixed? Is there a way to track progress on this?

6 Posts

July 3rd, 2018 16:00

Same problem on built-in keyboard (XPS 13 9370) with BIOS just updated days ago. Many key presses profuce no character on screen, or several that appear 10 seconds latet.  Almost impossible to login, as characters only show when lower-left touchpad held down. Sometimes single key press inserts multiples of same letter. No response when hitting next key(s) until many seconds later. BACKSPACE to delete mistaken letter takes many seconds for the character to disappear. USB-connected keyboard via SIIG dock works fine.  

6 Posts

July 3rd, 2018 16:00

@Bruce404 wrote:

Same problem on built-in keyboard (XPS 13 9370) with BIOS just updated days ago. Many key presses produce no character on screen, or several that appear 10 seconds later.  Almost impossible to login, as characters only show when lower-left touchpad held down with cursor at eyeball. Sometimes single key press inserts multiples of same letter. No response when hitting next key(s) until many seconds later. BACKSPACE to delete mistaken letter takes many seconds for the character to disappear. USB-connected keyboard via SIIG dock works fine.  

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ 

Running BIOS "Dell Inc. 1.4.0 2018-05-25".

Problem not noticed earlier on this new machine because I always use a connected fullsize peripheral keyboard connected via SIIG-dock USB port. But what to do when in travel mode? ! ? ! ? !

3 Posts

July 6th, 2018 11:00

The keyboard problem remains unresolved. It has become a pain. What should I do. 

6 Posts

July 6th, 2018 12:00

PROBLEM SOLVED! (at least in my situation)

Regarding my problem described on the Dell Community website (https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/XPS-13-9370-Keyboard-Skips-Button-Presses/m-p/6106075), along with posts from other Dell owners with similar problems, I received very kind and patient assistance from Dell Technical Support person Sergio S. the other day.

We thought we had it figured out to be the result of some bug in one of the 35 non-Microsoft services running on my Windows 10, 64-bit XPS 13 9370 (accessed via RUN/CORTANA > MSCONFIG > SERVICES > HIDE MICROSOFT SERVICES),  because the problem appeared to disappear upon disabling all these non-MS services. But it turned out that we were mistaken.

So after disconnecting from the support telephone call because of the expected tediousness of the planned process, on my own I enabled, one-by-one, each of 35 disabled non-MS services, then rebooted, then checked to see if the “bugginess” of the built-in XPS keyboard on login attempt occurred. If it did not, I then logged in, enabled the next non-MS service on the list, and repeated the process. It took me over an hour to do this.

To my surprise, even when ALL of the 35 non-MS services were enabled, I could not reproduce the built-in keyboard buggy non-responsiveness. So further sleuthing and experimentation was performed.

I discovered that the problem occurred only when my USB-C cable, connected to either of the two Thunderbolt ports on the left rear of my laptop, was connected either ... :

[1] to my POWERED-OFF extended external monitor (LG 27UK-850-W, 3840x2160), or

[2] to the same USB-C cable (furnished by LG with my monitor), but NOT CONNECTED to anything on its other end (in other words, disconnected from the external monitor).

The built-in keyboard “bugginess” occurred in either of the conditions [1] or [2] above, regardless of whether the connected charger’s USB-C cable (supplied by Dell with my XPS) was either powered-on from mains (wall-outlet) AC current or disconnected from mains current, or whether the charger’s USB-C cable itself was completely disconnected from the XPS laptop (running on battery).

Thus, my conclusion is that any USB-C cable (other than the Dell charger's) connected to my Thunderbolt port (or perhaps a defective USB-C cable, which doubtfully might have been supplied to me by LG with my monitor) will cause the keyboard “bugginess” if it is not connected to any peripheral at its other end, or if it is connected to a NON-POWERED-ON (turned-off) peripheral.

I have not yet tested whether a USB-C cable not powered from its other end will cause the same keyboard bugginess when plugged into the right-sided, non-Thunderbolt USB-C port on my Dell XPS. 

I use that port to connect to a SIIG dock (BV41729X JU-H30B11-S1) offering Ethernet, HDMI, USB, and SD ports for my laptop.  Interestingly, this dock is/was not connected to any external power source of its own (only via its fixed USB-C connection into the laptop's non-Thunderbolt USB-C port to the right of the keyboard).

So, at least until DELL firmware or drivers can solve this problem, don't connect a USB-C cable to the XPS unless it's other end is powered-up by a peripheral.

[NOTE ADDED 2018-11-30:  See my followup post immediately following this one:  https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/XPS-13-9370-Keyboard-Skips-Button-Presses/m-p/6107741#]

6 Posts

July 6th, 2018 13:00

Further Clarifications on PROBLEM SOLVED!

A.  The keyboard "bugginess" with the XPS 13 only occurs when powered up from a full "Shut down", and not from a "Restart" (whether on AC mains/wall power, or on battery).   

B. In addition to conditions [1] and [2] described earlier, the bugginess also DOES OCCUR when the USB-C cable is connected to the non-Thunderbolt USB-C port on the right side of the laptop if the other end of the cable is connected to a POWERED-OFF peripheral (e.g., turned-off monitor), or to no peripheral at all.

July 7th, 2018 08:00

Hi Justin,

that's fine, but when will this issue be fixed for the 9350? I'm waiting for 2 years now and so far Dell has not even confirmed they have been starting to work on a fix. Can you please check internally?

No Events found!