Start a Conversation

Unsolved

X

13 Posts

August 10th, 2019 05:00

replacing 97wh battery with 56wh

I have a xps 9560 - 2017 model of which i removed the (swollen) 97wh 6GTPY battery and would like to replace it with a 56wh 5D91C battery. Is this compatible? further info - i'm not planning to add an extra hdd in the unused space (if it fits), and i'm choosing this smaller battery simply because of speedy availability and price. cheers

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

August 10th, 2019 06:00

Welcome to the Dell Community  @xav_B 

I tried finding the posts to verify this before posting but have not found them yet.

I have read that the 56Wh battery will not charge or will not run on battery if it is replacing the 97Wh???

I remember it having to do with an "FHD or UHD" LCD display.

I will continue to search but maybe someone else can add to this???

Best regards,

U2

NOTE: What type LCD display do you have???

13 Posts

August 10th, 2019 09:00

Thanks for your reply U2, I did find one success story on reddit, but there was no mention of other specs such as display etc. Mine is the 4K touchscreen one.

1 Rookie

• 

490 Posts

September 4th, 2019 03:00

> I have read that the 56Wh battery will not charge or will not run on battery if it is replacing the 97Wh???

> I remember it having to do with an "FHD or UHD" LCD display.

I've got a 9550 UHD touch with the smaller battery. I think it should work if the right model for your laptop, check codes. But if not straight from Dell, most "genuines" are fakes, and these batteries seem to get pretty stressed in XPS 15, particularly the smaller ones. If the battery isn't good quality or is deteriorated, the voltage may drop under high power draw, tripping the battery protection circuit. 

13 Posts

September 4th, 2019 03:00

bump

10 Elder

• 

24.7K Posts

March 9th, 2021 08:00

First question:  is the AC adapter recognized with its power rating, or does it show "unknown" or "not installed".  F2 at powerup to check.  Note:  check in setup -- don't rely on the adapter's ability to run the system as evidence it is recognized.  If the adapter is not recognized, the battery will not charge.

Second:  what resolution is your screen?  The 56WHr battery will not work with a QHD screen (it will with an FHD screen).

1 Message

March 9th, 2021 08:00

Hello! Anybody success on this? I have tried several 56wh batteries on my XPS 9560, but the batteries were not charged (the laptop still run on the battery power)

No Events found!