Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 20th, 2016 07:00

VSG Space Consumption with Snapshots

Hello,

In a scenario where Snapshots are created from Production LUNs and then used as the Production LUNs of another machine (think replica copies for PRD/DEV/Test), the VSG stats for space used and consumed will always be skewed because we can't delete the parent of these snaps (the real Production LUNs). The snapshot set will be deleted and the replica LUNs will still exist because they are mapped to the replica host. Is there any way to sever this relationship so that the volumes will report on their individual stats only rather than as a snapshot group?

If not, is this planned for the future?

Thanks

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

July 20th, 2016 08:00

agree, that would be nice. We have what we consider a "gold" image of our Win2k12 server (we still have a lot of physical boxes) so whenever we need to setup a brand new "boot from SAN" machine, i simply create a  read/write snapshot of my gold image and give it to my new physical server.  I also ask a long time ago to be able to dissociate from parent snapshot in terms of visual indicators. Since there is no "clone" per say i would like to be able to change the icon on my "clone" device so it looks like a normal device and not a snapshot.

727 Posts

July 22nd, 2016 12:00

Hi Keith – you are correct that the space efficiency is reported at the volume snapshot group level instead of at the individual volume level. We are looking at providing more granular information in a future release (don’t have committed timelines at this time).

727 Posts

July 22nd, 2016 12:00

Dynamox – besides the visual differentiation, is there any other reason why you would want to break the relationship between the copies and the original volumes?

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

July 23rd, 2016 05:00

Avi,

I would like to break the relationship so i don't shoot myself in the foot where i by accident refresh my "gold" image from one of the read-write snapshots or refresh my "clone" from another snapshot or my gold image.

727 Posts

July 25th, 2016 06:00

Dynamox – would it help if we provide a mechanism which prevents accidental refreshes like the scenario that you describe below?

522 Posts

July 25th, 2016 06:00

Thanks Avi...that would be very beneficial to add in a future release.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

July 25th, 2016 07:00

honestly i would prefer "dis-association" better.  You can put a lot of "Are you sure" message but nothing will beat complete separation of entities.

727 Posts

July 25th, 2016 10:00

Point taken

No Events found!