Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 5th, 2015 09:00

Attempt to create VHDX or other unsupported format for this server version

Hello, 

I am having an issue with vWorkSpace failing to load VM's and I am really hoping someone here might be able to add some input. We are running vWorkSpace v8.5 on a windows server 2012 box and Hyper-V v6.1 on Windows Server 2008.

After running then editing the master image, I updated the image for our cloud. Once updated the VM's would not load, giving the below error

Completing the action (Create)(Create failed. CreateVM: Failed to create VM from provided information.::CreateVhdxDisk: Attempt to create VHDX or other unsupported format for this server version. Virtual Disk Path: .avhd - Call Stacks - at Quest.vWorkspace.VirtualCore.HyperV.HvVmService.CreateVM(VmCreateData createData, String domainNameIP)
at HypervLocalExecutor.HvCreateVM(String strUser, String strPwd, VmCreateData createData, String strDomainNameIP, VmResult& result)
at CHyperVClone.doClone(basic_string \,std::allocator >* nsHostName, basic_string \,std::allocator >* nsUsername, basic_string \,std::allocator >* nsPasswd, VmDefData* vmData, basic_string \,std::allocator >* strDomainIPaddress, NewVmInfo* newVmInfo)-> at Quest.vWorkspace.VirtualCore.HyperV.Server2008R2.CreateVhdxDisk(String parentDiskPath, String diskPath)
at Quest.vWorkspace.VirtualCore.HyperV.Server2008R2.CreateDiskForVM(ManagementObject vmMgmntObj, String vmPath, VmCreateData& vmData, String& vhdPath)
at Quest.vWorkspace.VirtualCore.HyperV.Server2008R2.CreateVirtualMachine(VmCreateData vmData, String domainNameIP)
at Quest.vWorkspace.VirtualCore.HyperV.HvVmService.CreateVM(VmCreateData createData, String domainNameIP))...
05-Mar-2015 15:54:15 - 1392 : 8580511090155201372 - Error Caught: Stack Trace and Exception Stack Below:
at Quest.vWorkspace.VirtualCore.HyperV.Server2008R2.CreateVhdxDisk(String parentDiskPath, String diskPath)
at Quest.vWorkspace.VirtualCore.HyperV.Server2008R2.CreateDiskForVM(ManagementObject vmMgmntObj, String vmPath, VmCreateData& vmData, String& vhdPath)
at Quest.vWorkspace.VirtualCore.HyperV.Server2008R2.CreateVirtualMachine(VmCreateData vmData, String domainNameIP)
at Quest.vWorkspace.VirtualCore.HyperV.HvVmService.CreateVM(VmCreateData createData, String domainNameIP)

We believe that is somehow to do with Hyper-V running on Windows 2008 and vWorkSpace running on Windows 2012 - the VHDX format is not supported by the version of Hyper-V server. A quick look online confirms this. My question then is, how has updating the master image changed the virtual hard drive format that vWorkSpace wants to use and is there a way to set vWorkSpace to not sure that format?

I have search extensively online for a solution to this and not found anything nor does there seem to be a clear way in the vWorkSpace console to change this.

Thank you 

101 Posts

March 6th, 2015 07:00

Hi,

I suspect that you have created a snapshot on your template.  This is not supported, if you delete the snapshot so that the .avhd is merged to the vhd/vhdx and update the template in vWorkspace again.  If that doesn't work you may have to remove the template from vWorkspace and then import again.

Regards

Paul

March 6th, 2015 07:00

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the suggestion.

Deleting all the snapshots seems (after a quick test) to have solved it. Will test futher but it looks like manual backups from here on.

Thanks,

Robert.

101 Posts

March 12th, 2015 10:00

Hi Robert,

Yes the best way to backup before updates is to either export the VM to a file share or just copy the vhd out before hand.

If you forget to do this you could also copy the vhd from the C:\Quest vWorkspace VMs\ParentVHDs.

Regards

Paul

No Events found!