Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 10th, 2011 16:00

Excel 2010 flickering issue

Hello Community,

On our vWorkspace 7.2 our users have a very annoying problem with excel 2010; when typing or navigating to other cells the application is hidden for a short period, and comes back right after it disappeared. It's not at every keystroke or move to other cells, but it happens very often, too often.. We have opened a case for this at the beginning of GA release of office 2010, somewhere may 2010. Still no fix as of today, my customers are starting to look at other options for their published applications. So i want to get more info about this like:

- are there any users which suffer from the same problem?

- maybe a solution fix for this?

- why does this take such a long time for Quest to fix?

Regards,

Frans

98 Posts

February 10th, 2011 17:00

I have Excel 2010 on vworkspace and do not have this problem.  We do have problems with Excel causing a quick flickering, but that is due to excel doing an autoupdate of every cell when changing cell's with formula's.  This unfortunately happens with all Terminal/VDI type solutions as the screen updates happen so fast and update so much of the screen that the Citrix/TS/vworspace client will see a flicker.

I've never seen where the app seems to hidden.  Are you running a Streamed app or a full desktop?

48 Posts

February 10th, 2011 19:00

Hi Frans,

I had thought this was fixed in the 7.2 client provided you are using the latest version of the RDP core engine (6.1) as well but in any event, with 7.2 you have the chice of different seamless approaches, Quest, Microsoft and emulate seamless (not true seamless). You can select which of these options to use in the managed application properties. That ought to resolve this issue for you.

regards,

Rick 

8 Posts

February 10th, 2011 19:00

Hello Rick,

What do you mean by emulate seamless? where can i find this setting? I will check the client and core version tomorrow and do some testing. If still there i will post a video of the behaviour.

Regards,

Frans

8 Posts

February 11th, 2011 09:00

Hello,

We had a webex with support this morning about EOP not enabled in seamless window mode. After disabling seamless window mode EOP started working, and also the Excel flickering problem is gone. So the seamless window mode needs some attention for these issues to fix. We cannot use Microsoft RemoteApp as we have 2003 terminal servers. Rick, could you explain the emulate seamless mode some more?

Regards,

Frans

48 Posts

February 15th, 2011 02:00

Hi Frans,

In vWorkspace 7.2, if you do to the managed application you want and click on it's properties, and go to User experience > Window, you have 3 options:

1. Use vWorkspace seamless mode

2. Force Off

3. Use Microsoft Seamless window mode.

Option 2 publishes the application in a fixed size window which can be minimized and maximized, but not resized. So it kind of simulates seamless window but obviously isn't seamless.

Option 3 uses the RemoteApp seamless engine, which isn't perfect but can sometimes handle scenarios that aren't covered by th vWorkspace seamless mode.

Between the 3 options, almost everything should be able to be delivered as a published (managed) application.

regards,

Rick

No Events found!