Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 11th, 2011 03:00

How to Sysprep a VM (template) for vWorkspace to use

Hi Guys,

I thougth this would be the easiest part of setting up our vWorkspace environment, but apparently not!

What i'm trying to do: setup a VMWare template that vWorkspace uses as a template for creating VMs.

What I do:

1) create a win7 VM in vmware.

2) log in, run Sysprep choosing OOBE and Generalise, and shutdown

3) convert the VM into a template

4) on the vWorkspace console i try and "add computers...", choosing the above template, create a fairly benign unattend.xml using the vWorkspace interface (i don't import).

5) tell vWorkspace to create the VM

6) VMWare creates the vm, boots it up, and then it just goes to the first screen of the OOBE - asking for my name.

Am i doing something wrong?  i thought at this point vWorkspace should inject the unattend.xml and customise everything?  if there's something i haven't explained in detail enuogh please let me know.

Thanks!

Nick.

48 Posts

October 11th, 2011 08:00

Hi Nick,

The vWorkspace sysprep needs pntools manually installed on the template so that the connection broker can copy the sysprep files to the target VM. If pntools isn't installed the VM will just sit there after power-up.

Provided VMware tools are installed as well (which they should be) you can find out if the sysprep has worked by looking at the VM summary (in VI Client console) to see if the hostname/domainname has changed.

regards,

Rick

14 Posts

October 11th, 2011 04:00

The sysprep function of OOBE is working. I.E. Once you boot the VM up after the provisioning of the VM you are presented with the OOBE UI. What seems to not be happening is the customisation by vWorkspace: Timezone, Domain joining and hostname setting.

vWorkspace verison is : 7.2.303.461

vCenter version is : 4.1.0

Nick.

14 Posts

FQDN.

i was actually about to try and create a sysprep customisation properties thing that had no domain on it, and as little network dependency as possible..

57 Posts

Is Sysprep running at all and just not joining the domain?

Also, which version of vWorkspace and vCenter are you using?

57 Posts

On the domain configuration in sysprep are you using FQDN or Netbios?

14 Posts

October 11th, 2011 05:00

right, so you don't think we need to sysprep the VM at all?

57 Posts

October 11th, 2011 05:00

Could you log a case with support? I am travelling and not sure what else I can really suggest.

Following your original steps I don't believe you need to do step 2. I have never done this step.

14 Posts

October 11th, 2011 06:00

ok, tried that.  it doesn't fail (deosn't leave me at the OOBE screen obviously - there was no sysprep'ing), but when i log into the VM and check the hostname, it's still the original pre-template hostname, so the vWorkspace customisation process isn't taking.

Is there somewhere i can find logs to see what's going on?

14 Posts

hmm ok, i will try creating a template that hasn't been sysprep'd, and apply a really basic sysprep/unattend.xml thingo and see how i go.

thanks for your help thus far!

57 Posts

No, as we will kick off sysprep by configuring the sysprep setting through our wizard when provisioning new VMs

101 Posts

Hi Nick,

What sysprep mode are you setting within the vWorkspace sysprep options?

Paul

228 Posts

October 11th, 2011 07:00

Hi Nick,

Having looked at your process above I agree with Matt, you do not need to run the Sysprep at step 2. Let us know if you see any change after using the new template.

Regards

David

October 13th, 2011 00:00

Also verify that you have received a DHCP leased IP Address, as without this you're not going to get the sysprep customization and definitely not going to join AD.  You should be able to do Shift+F10 during the first time setup to get to the cmd prompt and run ipconfig /all.

October 13th, 2011 14:00

Ive seen this happen many times.

228 Posts

October 13th, 2011 15:00

Hi Nick,

Are you still having a problem with the provisioning of new VM's?

What version of Windows 7 are you using, is it Ultimate or Enterprise?

When the VM creation process completes and waits at the login screen does vSphere report an IP address for the VM, or when you login is the computer on the network?

Regards

David

No Events found!